Lost I need help

johntree72

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
I'm thinking about getting 5 chickens and need to now what size coop I need and how big their run should be while i'm at work i plan on letting them run loose when I get home from work but need to keep them safe while i'm not home.

The general rule is 4 sq. foot per bird in the coop and 10 sq. foot in the run. It's my experience that they are happier & have less issues if you give them more space.

Thank you so much that helps I think we will go with an 8x8. We plan on having 5-6 chickens and that should give them enough space inside at night with a pretty good size run during the day while we are at work.

Last edited:
Minimum Space Requirements
Type of Bird

Sq ft/bird inside

Sq ft/bird outside runs
Bantam Chickens
Laying Hens
Large Chickens
Quail
Pheasant
Ducks
Geese

*These are MINS, I recommend adding 3 FT extra. to each the bird inside and outside runs.

Hope this helps you! :)

I'm thinking about getting 5 chickens and need to now what size coop I need and how big their run should be while i'm at work i plan on letting them run loose when I get home from work but need to keep them safe while i'm not home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you that helps alot. One last question do all breeds get along we are thinking of having 2 Barred Rock,2 Buff Orpington and 2 light Brahma chickens. We really want some Happy Hens.

Last edited:
Yes! The only issue you have is when you start mixing roosters in with hens and not having enough hens to roosters.

Thank you that helps alot. One last question do all breeds get along we are thinking of having 2 Barred Rock,2 Buff Orpington and 2 light Brahma chickens. We really want some Happy Hens.

We live in the city they just passed a new law we're allowed 5 Hens but no Roosters so that won't be an issue. I'm so excited and can't wait I think our grandson will have a great time I've heard the breeds I'm looking at are very very friendly.

All breeds of chickens get along but you my have heard about the pecking order. Chickens have a very rigid social order. Bringing in new chickens to an established flock leads to squabbles while they work out where everyone fits. The easiest thing to do is to buy all tour chickens very young and raise them together. You have to slowly introduce new chickens to a new home and preferrably not one at a time as they will be badly picked on. If you are only allowed 5 though you might want to think now about what you are going to do in a few years time when their laying drops off. Are you going to get rid of them and replace them to keep your egg numbers up, or would you be better getting fewer now and then a few younger ones in a couple of years. How many eggs a day do you need?

Back
Top Bottom