Lost I need help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by johntree72, Jan 13, 2012.

1. johntree72

johntree72 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    I'm thinking about getting 5 chickens and need to now what size coop I need and how big their run should be while i'm at work i plan on letting them run loose when I get home from work but need to keep them safe while i'm not home.

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I think its 3 square feet per chicken.

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    The general rule is 4 sq. foot per bird in the coop and 10 sq. foot in the run. It's my experience that they are happier & have less issues if you give them more space.

4. johntree72

Jan 13, 2012
    Thank you so much that helps I think we will go with an 8x8. We plan on having 5-6 chickens and that should give them enough space inside at night with a pretty good size run during the day while we are at work.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. AJ Farms

AJ Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Minimum Space Requirements
    Type of Bird

Sq ft/bird inside

Sq ft/bird outside runs
    Bantam Chickens
    Laying Hens
    Large Chickens
    Quail
    Pheasant
    Ducks
    Geese

*These are MINS, I recommend adding 3 FT extra. to each the bird inside and outside runs.

Hope this helps you! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  6. johntree72

Jan 13, 2012
    Thank you that helps alot. One last question do all breeds get along we are thinking of having 2 Barred Rock,2 Buff Orpington and 2 light Brahma chickens. We really want some Happy Hens.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  7. AJ Farms

AJ Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Yes! The only issue you have is when you start mixing roosters in with hens and not having enough hens to roosters.

8. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

And, of course, you don't really need a roo (unless you want babies).

9. johntree72

Jan 13, 2012
    We live in the city they just passed a new law we're allowed 5 Hens but no Roosters so that won't be an issue. I'm so excited and can't wait I think our grandson will have a great time I've heard the breeds I'm looking at are very very friendly.

10. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    All breeds of chickens get along but you my have heard about the pecking order. Chickens have a very rigid social order. Bringing in new chickens to an established flock leads to squabbles while they work out where everyone fits. The easiest thing to do is to buy all tour chickens very young and raise them together. You have to slowly introduce new chickens to a new home and preferrably not one at a time as they will be badly picked on. If you are only allowed 5 though you might want to think now about what you are going to do in a few years time when their laying drops off. Are you going to get rid of them and replace them to keep your egg numbers up, or would you be better getting fewer now and then a few younger ones in a couple of years. How many eggs a day do you need?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by