1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lost my chicken (picture))

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by annie3001, Jan 19, 2013.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I havent posted in forever, but came here today because chicken people understand.
    I have alot of chickens maybe 20 and 4 ducks. I free range them while home. Yesterday was like any other day, except different. I have this smallish black and white cochin we call her "baby black and white one" i know strange name, well anyways, I let her out of the coop because she is pecked on by the others and was hungry. I watched her eating and went inside and made my self lunch. the view to my coop/run is visiable from my kitchen window. I watched her, she looked happy. She had a beautfiful way about her. she made noises when you talk with her. She was my special chicken. I protected her. She was 4 years old. So anyways, I go to my living room and lay on the couch, I end up naping. I awake because my kids would soon be coming off their school bus, I go to the window in my kitchen and check on my "baby black and white one". Shes not visiable. I see a large huge hawk , on the ground eating something. I knew. I just knew. I throw my shoes on and head out the door, I ran fast, my adrienline pumping.
    I try and shoo the hawk away. That didnt work well, so I tried throwing wooden logs at it. I hit it the first time and it went down. But it soon got right back up. Devistated because this is my girl! I called my husband at his work and he came home and shooed the hawk, it flew up to a tree. I took a ton of pictures of it. He was mean and nasty looking. Im still very shaken up about it. Still feels unreal.

Sad.

[​IMG]

andrea-[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
  3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    So sorry for your loss!!

4. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    Sorry for the loss.....I also had a hawk problem...got 2 lavender Orp pullets, and a crested Swedish flower pullet....I put my Canadian Geese decoys in their pen and it stopped....LOL...decoys are good for something...~Charm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by