Lost my duck how to grieve

Sep 21, 2020
Lost my duck about two days ago I had raised him.from a baby he always came inside the house and was so friendly and affectionate I consider him a family member and the other day discovered only a beak,spinal cord and one foot I've felt so devastated ever since I cant sleep at night without thinking about what happened and how much pain he suffered and I'm having trouble forgiving myself.. never being able to see him again knowing he so innocently struggled. Does anybody have any tips on how to get over that guilt ? Also any tips on how to better equip the coop? Anything would be appreciated thank you.

I am very sorry for your loss and the pain you are feeling. Your sweet duck knew you loved him. Due to my personal religious beliefs, i fully truly believe i will see my beloved fur & feather babies again. But i wont say any more on that subject since religious views may not be shared, other than to say again, that at the Least your duck knew that here on earth you loved him very much. Re improving your coup security, before i ever got chickens, i researched thoroughly on backyard chickens forum how to secure my sweet girls (and boys), against the many predators that lurk in the surrounding woods. All my coups AND runs consist of 10x10 chainlink dog kennel panels. Then 1/2 hardware cloth wrapped & covered on sides, top, & dug/flared 3 feet under ground. I also have 2 lgd that patrol & protect. So far nothing has ever gotten in at night. I did lose some to a sneaky fox several years ago during the Daytime in winter months, while the chickens were free-ranging. That fox hunted around the dogs. I HAve made a few tragic mistakes through the years that resulted in deaths, & the truth is i Do often still think of those sweet girls with great sadness. (Sadness for ME, because i wish they were still here with me, even tho as previously stated, i fully believe that through Gods Love for ALL his creatures i will one day be re-united with them.). There is tons of priceless information re how to protect from predators on the various backyard chickens forums. Read, research, protect. And then, to honor the life of the sweet duck you lost, dare to love again. You will never forget him & the special personality that he was, & that is ok. Again, very sorry for the pain of your loss.

I am very sorry for your loss and the pain you are feeling. Your sweet duck knew you loved him. Due to my personal religious beliefs, i fully truly believe i will see my beloved fur & feather babies again. But i wont say any more on that subject since religious views may not be shared, other than to say again, that at the Least your duck knew that here on earth you loved him very much. Re improving your coup security, before i ever got chickens, i researched thoroughly on backyard chickens forum how to secure my sweet girls (and boys), against the many predators that lurk in the surrounding woods. All my coups AND runs consist of 10x10 chainlink dog kennel panels. Then 1/2 hardware cloth wrapped & covered on sides, top, & dug/flared 3 feet under ground. I also have 2 lgd that patrol & protect. So far nothing has ever gotten in at night. I did lose some to a sneaky fox several years ago during the Daytime in winter months, while the chickens were free-ranging. That fox hunted around the dogs. I HAve made a few tragic mistakes through the years that resulted in deaths, & the truth is i Do often still think of those sweet girls with great sadness. (Sadness for ME, because i wish they were still here with me, even tho as previously stated, i fully believe that through Gods Love for ALL his creatures i will one day be re-united with them.). There is tons of priceless information re how to protect from predators on the various backyard chickens forums. Read, research, protect. And then, to honor the life of the sweet duck you lost, dare to love again. You will never forget him & the special personality that he was, & that is ok. Again, very sorry for the pain of your loss.
Thank you for your advice and I also agree he is in God's hands now and I pray every night to let god know how much he was loved and I feel better now after building a little memorial for him thank you so much

I am so sorry for your loss. You gave him the best life. I've felt that guilt before, but at my own hand.
I was cleaning the patio and my beloved Barred Rock, Bubby was under foot looking for bugs. I turned and repositioned a pop up tent against a wall, only to have it crash and land right on top of her. She thankfully died moments later. I was traumatized and still feel so guilty, I stopped having hens for years.
I am a huge animal lover and believer in their love , loyalty, and companionship.
May you find peace.

I am so sorry for your loss. You gave him the best life. I've felt that guilt before, but at my own hand.
I was cleaning the patio and my beloved Barred Rock, Bubby was under foot looking for bugs. I turned and repositioned a pop up tent against a wall, only to have it crash and land right on top of her. She thankfully died moments later. I was traumatized and still feel so guilty, I stopped having hens for years.
I am a huge animal lover and believer in their love , loyalty, and companionship.
May you find peace.
Awe I'm sorry to hear that I hope as time as gone by you feel better 😥 I'm glad I still have chickens left to love on to make that guilt feel a little better

I am learning hard and fast that it’s a mistake to try to avoid the suffering that comes with loss. You can allow yourself to feel and suffer through it now, or you can pretend that all is well and let it catch up with you later. And it will.

How to grieve? We probably know, intuitively, how, and it’s not easy, but it’s one of the things that makes us feel most alive and grateful.

Let good memories help you through this time, and soon, start work on preventing a reoccurrence.

Hi i am just checking back with you in hopes you were able to secure your coop & prevent more losses. I dont know why you didnt get more responses to your post here, but i think possibly because people didnt see your second question. If you still need input, repost your question re improving coup security. People will ask to see pictures of your coop. Other common questions are do you know how predator got in, what time of day/night did attack occur, etc etc. The more info u can provide, the more advice and help you should receive. I dont want you to lose any of your chickens on top of your beloved duck, so i am following up.

We put up a outside camera and believe the predator was a raccoon and have since fixed the coop
It had pryed open the metal fencing but everything has been double stapled and everything has been going smoothly so far thank you for checking in 😊

Back
Top Bottom