Lost my first birds yesterday....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by boilerjoe_96, Jul 17, 2007.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    2 EE pullets about 3 months old and 'Rocky', the 1 waddled Barred Rock Rooster, actually cockeral he was 4 months...

Both got out of the pen, and something killed them, didn't eat them, just killed them.

My 6 and 4 year old girls were in tears over Rocky. He was such a crower and so handsome....

2. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Sorry.

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    So sorry. I hope you find out what killed them so it won't happen agian. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's awful! I'm so sorry.

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry, it seems harder when you find them like that...... hope you find out what did it and rid yourself of it....sometimes. LIke mine,just never know... :aww

6. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Oh so sorry! [​IMG]

Could it have been a dog? I think they kill just for the fun they get out of it.

7. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I am so sorry, especially for your girls. I hope you find out what did it. [​IMG]

8. Ferrn

Ferrn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2007
    Texas
    Us too this past week. We don't know exactly what happened but 3 disappeared in the span of a couple of hours. Our kids are sad too but keep hoping they will "come home." So sorry for your loss!!

Jen

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I had a RIR roo named Rojo that I let out to free range and he didin't show up later to go back into the coop. Have no idea what happen to him. I guess a dog or something grabbed him sometime during the day. I just never found anything.

10. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    Sorry about your birds. I would bet on the dog also. they kill for the sport and leave them and it was daytime I assume? I lost 4 of mine 4 days agpo to a neighbors dog and that is what he did. Erin M.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by