Lost my first duck :(

secretquail

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Chapel Hill
This is about the only place that I will get the sympathy that I need. I'm heart broken. The other night, I came home to put my little flock in the pen for the night. When I know I won't be back before nightfall, I put them in a little fenced yard with an electric fence on. The 2 drakes were standing together, and Lucky, my girl was in the little pond. Golden was nowhere. I looked around and found her. She had stuck her head through the fence and must have gotten stuck on the electric fence somehow. If anyone remembers, about 6 months ago, a friend asked for some eggs for his daughter to hatch. Just before the hatch date, my friend had a stroke/heart attack. His daughters were able to keep it together because a week later, all the eggs hatched. This hen was one of those ducks, so she meant a little more to me. I will never tell my friend's wife (my friend is still struggling with life), but no one else can imagine how I feel. ...and now I have to adopt out Golden's brother, because now I have 2 drakes and 1 hen. So really I'm losing both of them.
hit.gif

aww i know my friend and i swapped hens like just one each hers got attacked by a dog liek the one i gave ehr and then she told me realy upset and scared of my reaction and myne that she gave me got killed by a stoat i never found it so hard to say anything but she was cool about it i still feel really bad, and RIP to your poor duck!

hugs.gif

You did your best to protect her, and we can't be there all the time (don't we all WISH we could!). I know that doesn't matter now, but it will someday.

Sorry for your loss, and your ducks. I have a small flock too, and a loss would cause total upheaval.
I also would have to come here for sympathy. Most people just don't get it. (If they got a couple ducks they would though.)
hugs.gif

I am so sorry. My husband thinks I nuts with the ducks and so does everyone else. If something happens to them I will be heartbroken. Maybe you can find a friend to take the drake and in the Spring can get another hen and maybe the drake can come back?

Back
Top Bottom