Lost my Silkie roo

starryeyes

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Today is a very sad day in our house. I woke up at 7 looked out my bedroom balcony to look at my silkies. And i noticed my rooster J.F.K. was not in his closed in area with Marilyn she was pacing bk and forth. I knew something was wrong. I went outside and my fears were confirm something had dug under the fence and draged him off. There were feathers everywhere but no blood. So we are thinking a fox. I am so upset these were my only silkie pair. My hen is beside herself with grief pacing back and forth calling for him. It is the sadiest thing I have ever seen he was like her husband he was so sweet and a great protector. All i can think is he died trying to protecter her anytime another animal IE the dog or other roos came near there closed in area he would rush her into the coop and he would pace bk and forth till the cost was clear to come bk out. I am having hubby make a door for her little coop and I will be locking her in at nite as I am sure the fox will be bk for her and her eggs. Here is a picture of my poor roo.
26948_p1090871.jpg

I am terribly sorry to hear of your loss. We, too, lost our beloved rooster, Tony, this past Good Friday. His mate, Alice, happened to go broody that very day so didn't witness the death, burial, etc. but we are convinced that she knew he wasn't doing well. Are you going to get another rooster for her? I hope so.

Again, I am so sorry. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Nan and Michael

We are trying to locate a rooster right now for her. I put my buff brahma rooster in with her it seemed to help. He will have to do for now till I can locate a silkie roo.

Starry

Might be a racoon...usually with the body gone and feathers all over that is what it is. Can you track any feathers at all?

So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
Chickens get attached to each other. Your hen is obviously grieving. Very sad so see.

Better watch tonight and see what comes back so you can get it.

Back
Top Bottom