Lost my sweet Banty Frizzle Rooster Psycho this morning

Sunflower01

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Westminster, Maryland
Went out to tend to the chickens this morning and Psycho, my frizzle rooster had died overnight. We bought him at the auction about 9 months ago. He was a featherless mess. Bathed him, which he loved, especially the blow dryer. Within time he started looking pretty good. I always thought he was an old chicken. You don't know what you'll get at the auctions, but he was so pathetic he became my special project. He had his own girls, two silkie hens and two banty cochin hens. He did his roosterly duties and kept his girls in line. My concern is now that he is gone will the girls go through a new pecking order. Should I get them a new rooster to keep the peace? The sad thing was when I found him this morning the Cochin Hen, Big Momma, was sitting next to him in the nest box pulling at his feathers as if to say "get up". Never thought I would get so attached to a chicken. Any advice?

O my. I'm sorry to hear about him
sad.png
It does hurt to lose chickens. I've lost alot. As for the girls, if they are like my girls, they will get along the same way they did. I'm really not sure. I think you should get another rooster, they are beautiful beautiful birds!

Oh, how sad.
hit.gif
I am so sorry for you and the girls.
I am probably one of the few people that would tell you to get another rooster(they can be a pain, but I LOVE my vicious little devils).

Thanks for your replys everyone. I will probably get another rooster for the girls and me. He was a bit Psycho, hence his name. He was a screamer when you came near him but as soon as you picked him up he would cuddle into your arms. We have two sides to our coop and run . One side is the misfits, "Bantys" and the other side we call the "big girls" standard size mixed chicken side. We added a rooster to the big girls side about 5 months ago and I did notice everyone got along wonderfully. Those big girls were ruthless tward each other. Roosters do keep the peace. Any squabbles they would jump in the middle and straghten out. I'll miss the little bugger.

Back
Top Bottom