1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost my two ducks this morning!! :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MjChickens, Jun 28, 2011.

1. MjChickens

MjChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    La Center, Wa
    [​IMG] I lost my pair of Buff Ducks this morning. Looks like something was just sitting around waiting for me to open the coop. They were only out about an hour, and the worst part my windows were open and I didn't hear a thing. I am so sick to my stomach. There is no evidence to what may have got in there pen either.

Does anyone know do crows go after ducks and just leave them behind after they kill them?

2. chimneyrock

chimneyrock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    [​IMG] I'm sooo sorry! Hopefully someone will come along and give you some idea what might have gotten them....

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I lost one of mine a couple weeks ago... let them out of thier nite pen into a chainlink (three rows barbed wire at the top) fenced in area they have been in for a yr... couldnt find one of them, looked and looked... didnt see a single feather anywhere ... decided to go out behind the fence in a brushy part and I saw a racoon eating on her.. I have NO idea how he got her without any evidence !!! VERY DEVISTATING !!! soo sorry .. its a horrible thing.. I am in the process of preditor proofing their free range area as I speak...

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry you lost them [​IMG] I lost most of my muscovy flock to a neighbors dog yesterday so I feel your pain [​IMG]

5. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    WOW!!! what is going on.....

FeatheredObsessionslost her muscovy flock to a neighbors dog

Hattiegun lost a couple of her/his ducks

you lost a pair of Buff Ducks

and my call duckling was ate by a black snake.. (he is died now and YES I killed him)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] for everyone

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Oh my! i know crows go after nests, eggs of small birds but i didn't think ducks were on the menu. I'm so sorry, i hope you at least find the culprit!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  7. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Sounds like a dog. They will leave the kill. A fox would take one and leave then come back for another. That's crazy that you didn't hear anything!

8. Debberduck

Debberduck New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    OMG that's horrible. I'm so sorry!!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I too am sorry, it has to be so devastating to go out and find your ducks have diappeared or have been killed. [​IMG] to you all..

10. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    i agree with dog. sorry [​IMG] most predators take the kill, to eat it, but a loose dog isn't usually actually hungry, they kill for fun and leave.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by