Lost one chicken last week...now another seems sick too...help!!

chrystalcamille

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
I am new to owning chickens...we got them for our 5 year old daughter last year. She has learned a lot about responsibility and she loves every one of her chickens!

We acquired 2 new girls a couple months ago..one black orpington and one lavender. Both have been very sweet and docile. When we got them they were four months old. They integrated fairly well with our other chickens and have seemed to be doing well. They are almost 7 months old now. A couple of weeks ago we noticed that the lavender one seemed weak. She was laying down in the corner of the run and was letting the other chickens walk on her. I immediately took her out and put her in my basement in a run. She ate and drank normally but had really runny/watery poo that was stuck all over her rear. After a few days I could see whole seeds in her poo also. She had three days of antibiotics and I wormed her to make sure she didn't have worms. She didn't get better. She eventually got weaker and weaker and died in her sleep.

This was heartbreaking to my daughter and now it seems the black orpington is sick also. I noticed today that she is weak..can't walk steadily and seems to stagger when she walks. Her poo is watery too. So she is now in our basement too. I gave her some econolyte which has vitamins and electrolytes in it, but other than isolation I don't know what else to do for her.

I live in mid-Georgia and its been really hot here...almost 100 yesterday. Our coop and run are in the woods with the coop fully shaded and the run is mostly shaded. Our other chickens and roo seem to be doing ok. They pant in the afternoons, but are doing great otherwise. We let them out in the afternoons so they can run around and eat bugs and go where they want. I just don't know what could be going on with these two babies.

One thing that has happened in the last few weeks is we have caught and killed two HUGE chicken snakes in the coop. Can chicken snakes bite or injure chickens? I thought they just ate the eggs... These two girls were the two smallest chickens in the coop so I guess they'd be the easiest prey...

One other thought that I've had is this: our roo is a RIR...is it possible he's been mounting these two and hurting them?

There seems to be so many reasons for their sickness. Any ideas anyone?

I am not sure about snake bites, but if you have not seen any marks or wounds on your chickens, then it is porb not that.
it could be many illnesses. If they are HEN have you checked to see if they are egg bound?
Have you checked for lice and mites?
and then there is Marek's Disease, which is VERY contagious and can drop them (but not every chick gets it) like flies
hit.gif

Here is a link to some information...and I am sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm

Thank you so much. It does sound like MD could be the problem. A friend of mine lost a chicken and rabbit today due to (she feels) heat stroke...it was VERY hot and humid and all my birds were panting also. I know there's not much I can do about MD but I plan to do more to relieve them from the intense heat we're experiencing right now. Any other thoughts or ideas are welcome...

Back
Top Bottom