lost one of my girls today :(

zoelovesmom

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I live in the suburbs, where I'm only allowed to have 4 chickens. I have been raising them from chicks; my first chickens. My barred rock was very red in the face and about to start laying any day now; she was 20 weeks. I went outside this morning to find the neighbor's doberman standing over her IN MY YARD, murdering my poor Emily. I screamed and the dog ran off.

We live on open space and have a split rail fence, but that dog jumped my fence to kill my chicken. I'm not sure who it belongs to, but I will be knocking on doors when my baby wakes up, to be sure they keep that dog locked up.
somad.gif

Emily was top of the pecking order, and gave her life to defend her flock. Poor brave girl.

I am just so sad.
sad.png

Last edited:
Oh Zoe I am so sorry for your loss! To lose a feathered friend is sad enough but for nonsense of a dog that has come onto you property is ridiculous!! I hope you find who the dog belongs to. I would never want to harm an animal but if they mess with my pets (chickens included) they are in big trouble. I had a dachsund that killed a hen in 2008 and I gave her away, I am not keeping anything that has done that. Period!!

I hope you find the dog and I would call animal control if you have it in your area and see what can be done the legal route so you won't get into any kind of trouble.

I just love BR hens, they are so sweet and loving.

hugs.gif
to you for your loss

hugs.gif
Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

You know he will be back. Once they find free chicken dinner, they won't stop until the chickens are gone.

I am so sorry for your loss, and I now know first hand how it feels! I woke this morning to find that a coon had gotten into our pen and got one momma hen and our 2 new babies! I hope that you find the owner of the dog who got your babies! We are in a country setting and unfortunatey have to deal with wild animals but to have a neighbors' dog to come onto your property is hard to deal with! Thoughts are with you.

~~pat~~

I've been reading all the post about the dogs killing chickens. Or really what's ever killing them. I was just outside looking at mine and wonder what I would do if some got one of mine. I do live in all tree section and the nearst neighbor is about 200 yards. He has two noisy Boston Terriers. They've already been over here once. O my I hope they don't come back. I will have an enemy for sure.

My personal favorite with dogs is the Doberman. I used to raise them and Arabian horses. I've always they were to smart for their own good. The owners just have never taken any time with the dog. They are so easy to train to do most anything you want. I'm hurting with you. I've really gotten attached to my 7.

Last edited:
Call animal control and make a report and they may even ticket the dog owner and make them pay for your hen. Also a report will help if you have to take other measures in the future to protect your flock.

Sorry for the loss....

That is so awful. certain birds can never be replaced:hugs if that happened to me I would have three new members of my house. may your chicken rest in peace.
hit.gif

That is so awful. certain birds can never be replaced
hugs.gif
if that happened to me I would have three new members of my house. may your chicken rest in peace.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom