lost our first hen last night... to a ???

lovethepeep

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
Third year of hobby farming, and we lost our first 5 week old chick last night
sad.png
. I am 99% sure it was a fox, because my neighbor saw the thing run across her horse pasture from our yard just before lunch (thought they were nocturnal!). So now I am finally in the "predators and pests" section of the forum
roll.png
. Guess I should buy a trap? Batton down the hatches a bit better? It was SO SAD to see her little white feathers in various spots of the yard... I don't wanna see that AGAIN!

You can trap it but if there is one there are probably more. I am just trying my best to protect mine without decimating the wild animal population unless forced to. How did it get it?

I had the bottom of their temporary run propped up on a log yesterday for them to get out and free range a bit with the older flock... didn't put it back down last night. The darn thing snuck up under and had him a meal
sad.png
. he can't get in tonight... unless they dig
hmm.png

Yes, fox hunt 24/7 and aren't shy about stealing a bird right in front of you at high noon. Shot 3 last year, rolled right up to one that was too busy trying to dig thru the skirting of the fence to notice me get out of the truck.

Skirt your coop with a strong wire about 18 - 24 inches out to stop digging and just be alert when allowing free ranging. A dog will help as will a shotgun (remember, they're very fast) even if you just pepper his butt. He will be back as they probably have pups to feed and are extra aggressive about keeping them fed.

You think about electric fence, it's effective against more than just fox, ie coons, stray dogs, etc. Run several strands starting about 3 - 4 inches off the ground and about 5-6 inches apart ( a very easy to set up with available step in posts) Fox hits that and their tail looks like a bottle brush! you can even get solar powered units.

When i got my chicks, a book REALLY helped, called Chick Days. AS far as foxes go, hanging up a talk radio will scare the fox away. I can't say for sure it works, but its worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom