Lost our first....

Princess Lay-a

Chirping
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Great Falls
Having 77 so far we had been doing great. But the llama shed we planned to convert to a coop broke during the move. So we are a week behind in getting the chickens into their new digs.
So far they have been in a 6ft by 14 ft brooder and doing fine. Today I found one listless and her eyes were closed. I got her to drink some and her head perked up a few times, but mostly she was deep breathing and her wings were droopy. She passed a couple of hours ago.
hit.gif

I have two more that are showing some similar signs (droopy wings, sleeping a lot) and I plan to put them into a big kennel to see if I can do anything with them. I got electrolytes for their water too. The temp in the garage is about 80. We are packing them all up tomorrow to make the 50 mile trip to their coop. They will be in the brooder again when we get there (still finishing the coop), but they will be outdoors and guarded by two llamas staked out next to them while we are in the camper a few feet away.

Ideas on what else to look for?
hu.gif
What it might be? I was thinking just the brooder getting crowded due to many bodies. But they seem to pile up rather than get away from each other. Kinda counterproductive if they are needing space. Is that normal?

Are they overheated? Too crowded? They will suffocate each other doing a pile up. I think they need lots more room SOON. Even if you need to separate them into several large boxes.........

Also, if they are cold, they will huddle and cause a pile up. More space is the answer.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.
We're heading out with all in tow! The others are doing fine so far today. We plan to have most, if not all of the coop built late today. If not then they will camp over night with llamas standing guard around the portable brooder.
Do you think a 10X16 coop will be big enough to start with?
hmm.png
The run will be another 10X16 or 20 ft. Plus they will eventually be free ranging too.

Woke to another gone.
hit.gif
We loaded everyone up and got down to the land ASAP. They were doing good, save about 5 that didn't look too hot. I did see two that pooped some bloody poops! Coccidia??
sickbyc.gif

So I'm guessing I need to go back to medicated chick starter!
hu.gif

I came back tonight and the rest of the family is staying down there with them overnight. I hope they don't get a visit from any varmints!
hide.gif

I'll be getting the med starter first thing in the AM and heading back down. Anything else I can do for coccidia?

They were enjoying the sun. The hubby thought they were in bad shape laying sideways in the sun. I told him they were sunning themselves, because they hopped up and ran
wee.gif
for food and a moth that flew in the run.
clap.gif

Thanks for any help you have!!

Your coop should be at least 308 square feet for 77 chickens if they are standard size, larger if they are heavy. Thats 20 x 16.

Good luck, hope you don't lose any more birds.

Quote:
So that's 4 sq ft per bird? I just checked a coccidia post and it showed the same exact posture of my birds! Now to make sure it doesn't spread!
barnie.gif

Once they have Cocci you have to medicate with sulmet, amprol, or ..... The stuff in medicated feed is too low dose and is a preventative.

I have always used Sulmet with 100% success, but be sure to follow the directions on the bottle exactly.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom