Lost our Flock

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mechanic1987, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Mechanic1987

Mechanic1987 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Anniston, Ala.
    [​IMG] Two dogs broke in through our coop window which is 5 feet off the ground and killed 19 hens and two roosters. my daughter who is 11, they were here chickens. left us with one hen. Neighbor gave us twelve eggs because she was setting. Animal control came out and found the dogs, killed one and caught the other. This is the third flock of the neighbor hood along with goats. We are back in business, I bought her 6 Buff Orfingtons, 6 white Rocks, 2 Aeracanas, 10 Rhode Islands, 5 Plymouth barred Rocks. The Eggs our hen is setting are Blue Giants, and Dominquers. My Daughter is excited. [​IMG]
    Ray

2. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    Im sorry for your loss [​IMG]

Were the dogs strays? Why would animal control kill the one dog? Were they rabid or something?

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    So sorry to hear about your flock. That must have been awful. You need to put some hardware cloth over the window now. Good luck with all your new ones.

4. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    Yeah, where did these dogs come from? Had you ever seen them before? That's a HORRIBLE story! I sure am glad you recovered so quickly but it would have devastated me! I would have been looking for the owners if I could!![​IMG]

5. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    Sad story. Glad you're back in business, but sad, sad story. Lost a few to hawks, but that's it.

Animal control came out and found the dogs, killed one and caught the other

Must've been some BAAAAADD dogs - I've never heard of animal control just killing a dog. Maybe they do it regularly, I've just never heard that before.​

6. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    We had two dogs into our chickens a month ago, and my husband bought me a small 22 calibre revolver. I have been practicing.

I called the neighbors and told them I WILL shoot the dogs if they come back, and they promised they would keep them there.

I LOVE dogs. It isn't their fault; it is the fault of people who don't keep their pets home. But I am still not going to let them kill my chickens, who are also pets.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's awful! It's why all my windows have hardware cloth in a frame over them. Was there a screen over the window? Still, those are some determined dogs to break into a window that far off the ground! I'm sorry for your loss and your daughter's pain.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    way to rebound. best lesson your kid could ever get out of this bad deal... sorry for your loss.

9. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    man its sad to hear how many dogs kill chickens and how many people wont just shoot em?
    stray dogs can breed with coyotes and coy dogs are a lot worst then coyotes do everone a favor and just shoot em

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Im glad to hear that animal control was able to catch/kill the dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by