lost our silkie

Cheryl

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 2, 2007
Milford, New Hampshire
Came home today to find feathers all over the yard, of course I recognized them as our "Silk." I found her ripped apart in the corner of the yard, but it seemed as though nothing was missing? Never had a problem and have no idea what got her, she was such a cutie!

Oh I'm so sorry for you loss.
sad.png

I'm sorry
sad.png
-- It's awful to come home to that---Sounds like when a hawk got one of our barred rocks...The hawk we had ripped it's neck out and tons of feathers--but left the majority of the chicken in tack--not pleasant at all!!! I don't let mine free range anymore unless I'm in the yard with them--it got too hard with all the wildlife around here
sad.png
----Sorry for your loss
sad.png

We had a hawk over head last week, I found all the girls hiding in the corner of their pen and couldn't figure out why until I looked up into the sky, but I thought that hawks took their prey with them?

I'm so sorry to hear about your silkie hen!
sad.png
I hope you find the culprit to keep your other girls safe!

Hawks will just eat the prey on the ground or tear off pieces, if the prey is too big.

Losing two silkies too some predator I know how you feel. I am so sorry that you lost your little silkie also.

Neighbor came by today, it was a hawk, he only found out that I lost a chicken...he said even all the wild birds were going nuts!!! We miss her, such a unique addition to the flock!

Watch out! Once the hawk realizes where the good eating is at, he will return. I had an attack over a month ago and that hawk is still prowling around for another free meal.

I'm so sorry, Cheryl. I just lost our one silkie as well.

We have hawks flying overhead fairly frequently (maybe once every day or 2), but haven't lost one yet to a hawk. I wonder if it is that our dog is usually in the yard where our chickens free range (oddly, our dog loves the chickens, as companions and not as food).

I too assumed that hawks carried away their prey. What a terrible waste of a sweet life.

Laura

Back
Top Bottom