Lost rooster returned, new rooster already established

Thanks, everyone. I butchered the newer of the two roosters today. The flock seems much happier and back in harmony. The newer rooster had been getting more aggressive by the day, keeping hens out of nesting boxes, kicking eggs around and breaking them and pecking at the other rooster. As soon as the bully was gone, the whole flock seemed to relax. I truly appreciate the advice.
Good management!

I just hope I butchered him correctly. No poo spilled out of intestines. The gizzard split open when I was pulling it out but the contents didn't touch the meat. I cut around the vent and removed it. Could I have missed some kind of gland up by the neck...? Is it safe to eat?

Last edited:
I just hope I butchered him correctly. No poo spilled out of intestines. The gizzard split open when I was pulling it out but the contents didn't touch the meat. I cut around the vent and removed it. Could I have missed some kind of gland up by the neck...? Is it safe to eat?
The gizzard or the crop?
Crop is on right side of neck/chest area..can be full of feed if you don't fast them before slaughter.
Gizzard is deep inside body cavity.....thick muscle , with grit and maybe feed inside.

This tutorial shows all organs:
http://ramblingredneckmom.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-process-chickens-at-home.html

Must have been the crop. It was full of feed. I pulled everything out through the rear of the chicken.
I usually loosen and remove the crop and trachea first, then go in the back.
I withhold feed over night to clear intestines, then give a tablespoon of scratch grains 30 minutes before slaughter to make the crop a bit easier to grab and peel away.

If I missed pulling out the crop, would it taunt the meat?
Probably not, but it should be removed.

Did you look at the link I posted?

Hopefully the carcass is now resting in the fridge for 48-72 hours before cooking(for rigor mortise to pass-or meat will be very tough).
I would cut up bird in parts(have you ever cut up a chicken before? If not, google it) and inspect the carcass before cooking.

Back
Top Bottom