Lost three of six chicks/pullets

jreardon1918

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 13, 2016
Southeast, MA
My Coop
My Coop
Yesterday we let our six 9 week old chicks out in the uncovered section of our run. They were with the four hens. At coop close up time, we discovered that we only had 3 chicks left and all four hens. This morning I toured the uncovered run and found all three dead. Heads gone, feathers scattered. But not really eaten. They were not near the fence. But the fence is just welded 2x4 wire. Any thoughts on what predator this might be?

One result is we will likely restrict them to the secure covered run. Probably will expand it.

I’m assuming your run isn’t hardware cloth? Sounds like a raccoon to me
On the left is the secure covered run. It is hw cloth including the apron. That i think is very secure. The right side is the side is an uncovered welded wire fence . No apron or overhead cover. One additional clue. The last couple days our vegetable garden had had tomatoes and spaghetti squash eaten. Coincidence?

Attachments

• 20200806_161429.jpg
    20200806_161429.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
M
On the left is the secure covered run. It is hw cloth including the apron. That i think is very secure. The right side is the side is an uncovered welded wire fence . No apron or overhead cover. One additional clue. The last couple days our vegetable garden had had tomatoes and spaghetti squash eaten. Coincidence?
Man. I’m so sorry for your losses. It’s so hard to lose them.

Yes. And thank you. We decided a year or so ago that the uncovered side run was a reasonable day place. Thought the risk wad worth the benefit. Now, it is time to rethink that area.

Heads gone, feathers scattered. But not really eaten. They were not near the fence. But the fence is just welded 2x4 wire. Any thoughts on what predator this might be?
So sorry this happened to you! :(

I've had the decapitation episode happen with skunks getting some silly pullets who stuck their heads out through chicken wire and another time with a squirrel getting into the pen and getting younger chicks -- though the squirrel may have intended to eat more of its victims before we caught it red-pawed.

Multiple birds lost, with missing heads....daytime.....probably mink or weasel. Either can easily go right through a 2 x 4 wire.

Perhaps owl, except for the daytime part.

Coons also operate mostly at night, and would kill that many, but probably do more than remove heads. Coons might be doing the tomatoes and squash at night.....and lurking in the dark. Always lurking in the dark.

If they can get to them, chickens will also damage the tomatoes and squash.

Could even be a fox. Setup as shown too porous to too many predators. The bush country setting on back allows any and all to climb in from back. Ample perches available for raptors to launch from.

If birds to be released to run all day, then I would be putting a cover on. Then be looking into setting up hotwire to somehow obstruct critters like fox, raccoon and opossum. I like a walk-able perimeter outside my fencing that can be readily inspected and worked with to keep bad guys out.....

I've had chicks lose their heads like that to both coons and hawks. :T I'm sorry for your loss. That's a huge bummer.

Of course only one of those would take vegetables, but so would squirrels, mice, rats, groundhogs, chipmunks...

Back
Top Bottom