Lost Two Girls Today

Coops are in full shade, bottom completely open in coop, I have no other blood. Heat index today is 110. Water being changed out very 1-2 hours and always feel cool. I have added two watering bowls that I add a couple of ice cubes very hour so that the water is cool but not cold. Very hour, I’m using a syringe to hydrate the week chicken by hand. The last time I was out, she was actually at a watering bowl and I watched her drink a significant amount of water. I am wetting the ground as well. The vents all look good. Crops are normal.

Attached are coop and run pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1358.jpeg
    IMG_1358.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    895.3 KB · Views: 9
Some improvement. I went out to change water and found the sick chicken drinking water. That’s really good but the best is that she went over to the feeder and started eating. That’s the first time in three days that I’ve seen her eat. She may be getting over the hump now. The other girls are tolerating the heat well for as hot as it is. At least I have some good ideas going forward as to how to treat the heat and dehydration when they refuse to drink.

I’m sure everyone is tired of this saga but wanted to give final update for today. Star (my sick girl) was eating and drinking this evening and before going in for the night, she was walking around the run, pecking and scratching like normal. What a change. I’m hopeful for tomorrow and more improvement.

One thing I learned from my Coast Guard career is to never give up. I’m hopeful it paid off in this issue. She’s a good girl and I couldn’t stand to lose another one under my care.

Thanks, everybody, for all the input and all the suggestions.

I’m sure everyone is tired of this saga but wanted to give final update for today. Star (my sick girl) was eating and drinking this evening and before going in for the night, she was walking around the run, pecking and scratching like normal. What a change. I’m hopeful for tomorrow and more improvement.

One thing I learned from my Coast Guard career is to never give up. I’m hopeful it paid off in this issue. She’s a good girl and I couldn’t stand to lose another one under my care.

Thanks, everybody, for all the input and all the suggestions.
Im so glad Star is doing better! Best of luck for the rest of your flock xx. Never giving up is the right thing to do. You are giving these chooks a wonderful life. Loosing multiple birds in the same few days must be really hard....I get so wrecked when one of mine passes. I hope Star lives a long happy life!

Water being changed out very 1-2 hours and always feel cool. I have added two watering bowls that I add a couple of ice cubes very hour so that the water is cool but not cold. Very hour, I’m using a syringe to hydrate the week chicken by hand. The last time I was out, she was actually at a watering bowl and I watched her drink a significant amount of water.

I went out to change water and found the sick chicken drinking water. That’s really good but the best is that she went over to the feeder and started eating.
I'm glad that she's improving, and they are doing better.

I'm also glad that you added a couple of bowls of water. Hopefully this will be helpful in addition to all the other things you have done. Chickens like to drink deeply so bowls are a good choice. While the drinking cups can stay cleaner and seem great, I've found that they fill up quite slowly, or the one's I have tried do/did, so the birds just didn't seem to be getting "enough" water as I thought they should. I only use bowls for water unless I have tiny chicks, then I put out a small chick station.

Back
Top Bottom