Lost two of my girls, but saved the other three :-(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GenomicsGirl, Jan 15, 2013.

1. GenomicsGirl

GenomicsGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    The girls were just about 7 weeks old and it was going to be 75 F for the weekend, so I thought I'd try them out in the tractor coop for the first time. They did great until about noon when my mother in law screamed that there was something wrong with the chickens. I ran out back and there was a little hawk, wings wide, clinging to the side of the coop. I grabbed a basketball and nailed the bird with it and it flew to a tree branch about 5 feet away from me. I checked on the girls who were cuddled where the hawk was and they were ok. Then I peeked in and saw that one girl in each of the two far corners [​IMG]I guess the hawk grabbed them and tried to pull them through the wire. My 9 year old started crying (his was one). We are making a memory stone and burying them. So sad. Last night, we drove out and got three new ones. But we still miss our Izzy and CannonBall. They were so tame and the kids had had them since they were 3 days old. RIP CannonBall and Izzy 11/27/12-1/13/13.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sorry to hear about your loss! That is rough. Cool memorial for them, however.

3. Oh my gosh that's horrible
    I can't even imagine the horror of seeing the poor chickens like that
    Goodbye cannonball and izzy you will be in a better place

4. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    So sorry to hear about your loss. It's tough losing pets.[​IMG]

5. kaeKY

kaeKY Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2012
    So many hawk attacks lately! They seem to be getting more and more aggressive with little fear of humans. So sorry for your loss and having to find such a horrible sight. It makes me very worried that even a fully enclosed chicken tractor isn't enough to protect chickens from hawks.

6. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    We've had 3 hawk attacks since yesterday that we witnessed, and probably another since there's a Marans chick missing. It's flown right past me to attack inside the small broody pen. I am not a happy camper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by