Lost two. So sad

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mtcookie, Sep 25, 2009.

1. mtcookie

mtcookie Dances with Chickens

Mar 17, 2009
    Santa Cruz
    I lost two last night to what I think were racoons. One is still there the other is gone.
    My other girls are sooo sad.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss

3. SunnyD

SunnyD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Were they in a coop or just outside?

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    What are you going to do to protect them? Reinforce the wire? Plug up holes? Otherwise you are going to lose more.

5. mtcookie

mtcookie Dances with Chickens

Mar 17, 2009
    Santa Cruz
    Reinforce the wire. My dad is coming up to help me today.

6. SunnyD

Apr 27, 2009
    I started feeling sorry for my six young chickens being "cooped" up so I decided to let them out during the day. This worked for about 2 weeks until I left them in the care of a neighbor awhile I was out of town for a weekend. Well...now I have two chickens living safely in their coop awhile I feel terrible about making the first decision.

Sorry for your loss.

7. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Unfortunately some neighbors can't be counted on to take care of your babies.....when we go out of town for a weekend I just fill the feeders and add an extra waterer in the coop and leave them there, locked up safely and happy and we know they are okay too so no worries.

8. SunnyD

Apr 27, 2009
    Unfortunately some neighbors can't be counted on to take care of your babies.....when we go out of town for a weekend I just fill the feeders and add an extra waterer in the coop and leave them there, locked up safely and happy and we know they are okay too so no worries.

Believe me, I will follow your advice from now on!

9. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Seems like we both have our sets of predators that can hurt our chickens. There was a chicken hawk that tried getting one of my Blue Cochins but she moved in time and the hawk ended up running into the side of the house, lol! I have to wait to let my Buff Orpingtons and Blue Cochins out until noon. We noticed that the hawk tends to make his morning rounds. He doesn't appear to go after the Australorps or Jersey Giants, probably because they're too big to carry off.

Sorry for your loss, but I'm sure you'll get more soon to replace them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by