Lots of chicken poo on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HappyVol, Feb 14, 2009.

1. HappyVol

HappyVol Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    This has most likely been delt with here but I could not find where.

We moved the chickens from free range (11 all total) to the coop in order to keep them out of the garden.

For laying we have one of those old tin lizzy things that is way too small for my birds and almost impossible to clean, so it is coming out today and we are putting in next boxes for the girls.

My question is how or what is the best way to clean poo off of eggs.

Thanks
    Nancy

2. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    im not to sure myself but im also wondering if they have some poo on them can you put them in the bator and have good results or will the poo be hindering the eggs pores to much?

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

If the eggs are to be incubated, it`s best not to wash them. They can be cleaned by lightly sanding with sand paper.

Eating eggs, on the other hand, can be washed in warm water.

4. HappyVol

HappyVol Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    Thanks, these are for eating and I sell the extras. What I did was to wipe off as much as I could with a paper towel. Then I used a warm cloth and got the rest off. Most of the poo appeared to be from a broke egg that caused poo to stick and the paper towel got the majority of the poo off. Got 99.9% of the egg stuff off with my thumb nail.

5. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    If it's just a dot then I clean it with a paper towel. If it looks like she was trying to do two things at once - the dogs get an egg!

My girls are pretty good but I have one girl who's just got poopy-butt...

6. If mine aren't clean enough for me to sell like they came out of the nest, I wash them in warm water and dawn dish detergent, and put in fridge as soon as dry, Since my bator is the mama hen, i leave them just the way they are. marrie

7. clayhillcouple

clayhillcouple Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    Interesting my wife been washing our eggs with soap.

8. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    I have used Egg Washer Pro, and really like the results. You can use the mixture in a bucket - follow the directions and it works like a champ.
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/egg_washer_pro.html I'm sure you can find something less expensive, but I like that this is natural. Good luck!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wash all of our eggs that go into the fridge. I have a special sponge for them with a "rough" side. I only use it on the eggs. Warm water, dry with paper towels.

We have very few with poop on them. perhaps 1 or 2 of every dozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by