1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lots of eggs.....Can you help me do the math.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dcrabtree, Nov 13, 2011.

1. dcrabtree

dcrabtree New Egg

Nov 13, 2011
    So I have four chickens. Two of them started laying about a week and a half ago (within a few days of each other). Up until today, the other hens have not laid any eggs. All of the chickens are about the same age + or - a few weeks. Suddenly today I woke up to 5 eggs, and two hours later, there was yet another egg totaling 6 eggs from four birds in one morning.....I am very confused as I was under the impression that one egg every 24-25 hours maximum.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!!!

Since your chickens are just starting to lay, they can break the rules if they want. Your 24-25 hours start-to-finish egg production information is generally correct. It is possible for a chicken to lay more than an egg in one day but it is rare. For example she may have carved an hour or so off the time-cycle so could lay eggs 22 or 23 hours apart. Leghorns (you didn't say which breeds you have) are the ones that I have heard do this upon occasion. It probably won't continue at that pace. ;O)

Pretty good performance from those chickens I would say.
    Congratulations!!

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:x2

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    My silkies did this when they started laying. Congrats [​IMG] [​IMG] Enjoy it while it last. They will get into an rountine soon. Mine normaly don't lay on the weekends. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. ZoeZoo

ZoeZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    My hens also did this when they started... 2 in the morning, 2 at night! Since then their bodies have got the egg thing figured out. Once they get the hang of egg laying, they'll slow down. But that's really awesome that you got so many eggs! Congrats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by