Lots of fly information but…

Bokkerpop

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
Lots of fly information but… I know there are dozens of home remedies and I've even use them in the past and got hundreds or thousands of flies but for some reason the flies flying around my chicken coop are not attracted in the least to rotten fish dog poop cat food sweet stuff or anything in my little homemade traps. It seems like all they want to do is fly around and around and around and not land on anything

Flies are just flies to me. They're the kind that like chicken poop I guess. I know they're not horseflies they're smaller than that

I have three traps out there now one I just bought on Amazon that supposed to be amazing and it seems that the flies couldn't care less about landing on stuff like rotten food or anything. They just fly around and around. Soon to be a moot point unfortunately because my homeowners association just put the hammer down and I need to find a home for my six little girls

I have three traps out there now one I just bought on Amazon that supposed to be amazing and it seems that the flies couldn't care less about landing on stuff like rotten food or anything. They just fly around and around. Soon to be a moot point unfortunately because my homeowners association just put the hammer down and I need to find a home for my six little girls

Would you be willing to share what exactly this "put the hammer" down means?

It means I have to get rid of my chickens because it's against the CCnr's We were hoping that we could make it work but eventually they're going to start fining us
1f620.png

It means I have to get rid of my chickens because it's against the CCnr's We were hoping that we could make it work but eventually they're going to start fining us
1f620.png

I should have been more clear with my question.

Did they send you a letter?
Did they give you a time line?
What state do you live in?

Have you thought about attending an HOA meeting and bringing up a request to have a vote on changing your deed restrictions...it just takes a vote.

Maybe not the answer for this problem but I stumbled on something a few years ago. I have a big stinging insect problem, both yellow jackets and wasps. I use the jar type trap that you fill with liquid and the bugs crawl in from the top and eventually drown, my discovery was that a mix of apple juice and water at about a 70/30 mix attracts a series of pests from early spring on. Starting about now I hang them out and they fill with Miller and coddling moths and then slowly switch over to catching flies and gnats. Finally as the weather warms wasps and hornets become the main catch. This is so effective I sometimes have to empty it every other day. I run these traps until freeze up to help catch those last few wasps. my wasp problem is so bad I removed about 15 baseball size nests last year along with dozens of little start up ones. Also went through 12-15 cans of wasp spray, thank you ACE hardware for putting it on sale cheap.
I posted this and then saw your additional post on HOA problems, some make no sense. My wife and I looked at 4 acres overlooking the river, beautiful property that was part of a country subdivision, their rules were you could have one large livestock, horses and cows per acre but they didn't allow chickens. That rule made no sense so rather then fight it we walked away. we bought 4 acres in the middle of farm country where there are no rules, we can have as many animals as we want, you can shoot your gun, shoot your fireworks and walk around naked if that's your thing.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I've done all of the above. It's a huge deal to actually change the CCN ours and it would be just to accommodate me alone and they're not going to invest the time or money into it. I've been to meetings I've showed pictures and done everything that I can do They have given me a lot of time to work things out but when they finally realized I wasn't budging on this then they just had to say "the rules are the rules" and it's back in my court.

I live in Irvine California. You think that the city would be down on chickens but they actually allow for chickens in a household. It's just the homeowners association

Back
Top Bottom