lots of pictures - help identify our hen!

TinyBirds

Songster
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Texas
This is at around a week old or so (not sure exactly, but she was smaller than the other chicks - we got her at the feed store since she was so tiny and cute):
36370_tiny3.jpg

36370_tiny5.jpg

36370_tiny6.jpg

36370_tiny7.jpg

and now at around 8-10 weeks old this is what she looks like below. Note she is the oldest of the birds in the photos. Most of them are anywhere from 2-8 weeks old, but some of them are already bigger than her.
36370_tiny8to10weeks.jpg

36370_tiny8to10weeks2.jpg

36370_tiny8to10weeks3.jpg

36370_tiny8to10weeks4.jpg

36370_tiny8to10weeks5.jpg

36370_tiny8to10weeks6.jpg

and this last photo shows her body shape compared to a young BLRW:
36370_tiny8to10weeks7.jpg

When she was a baby, someone said she was probably a phoenix, but the feed store didn't think that was possible since she came from Ideal and she said it would be hard to get a Phoenix from them, though she offered up no alternatives. Then I saw dutch bantam photos on-line, and thought maybe she looked like them. I just really wish I knew what she was so I could get more birds like her! She's so cute and sweet!

If it helps, she has dark-gray legs. I don't know how to tell what color her ear-lobes are. They look a mixed-color to me, so maybe I just can't tell yet at this age.

Last edited:
She looks like an Old English Game Bantam (OEGB) to me. But don't ask me what color she is! Ideal has about a billion different varieties of OEGBs.

She's not a OEGB (Old English Game Bantam)
She's a BBR (Black Breasted Red) Phoenix. (note the Blue legs OEGB shouldn't have Blue legs)

Chris

I couldn't stand not knowing for sure what breed she was (since I want more like her) so I sent a message to Ideal last night. This morning they answered already! So here's the probable answer to the mystery (drum roll...........)
"By the photos we think that it is probably an Indian Red Jungle Fowl Female. We hope this helps. Thank you."

Edited to add: Look at these photos and see how well they match! I love the photo of the hen w/ her babies... http://feathersite.com/Poultry///NDG/BRKRedJF.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom