Lots of questions

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
I have a bunch of questions and figured I'd just ask them all in one place rather than starting multiple threads.
I started with 3 runner ducks in 2010. Added 2 more and a welsh harlequin in 2012. That Welsh Harlequin is hanging with my chickens now and I'd like to get more ducklings again.
I know I can order from Metzer again and do another small order and get what I want, but I'd really like a more upright and slender body than what we can get from a hatchery. I'm looking at Purely Poultry and Johnson's Waterfowl and also looking locally. Not doing so hot locally, but do know somebody a few miles from me that used to have runners and will check with her as well.

Questions...
I've hatched once with an incubator when I was teaching preschool. Considering ordering eggs and hatching my own.
1 - what incubator have you used and would suggest (not crazy expensive - not planning on hatching out 100 eggs a month)

2 - for those that sell hatching eggs- how do you advertise? How did you decide on a breed(s)
I like my runners and the WH. Do mixed breeds sell?

3 - for those that sell duck eggs for eating (fertile or not) - how did you go about advertising - 11 years ago I couldn't even give duck eggs away.

4 - for those hatching with an incubator, how often did you have to intervene in hatching and how often did you need to cull ducklings?

5 - for those selling ducklings - what do you do with ones that don't sell? I don't want tons of ducks running around as they will be confined to a covered pen (too many predators in the last few years)

6 - for those that order eggs that are shipped to hatch - do you have a favorite place to order? how are the hatch rates?

I currently have 11 chickens (all different breeds or colors if same breed) and I'd really like to keep different colors of runners. A fawn and white and then a few other colors and I'll likely also include a welsh harlequin. My husband would not be trilled with the suggestion of 2 duck pens for 2 breeding flocks. I know there is the German site for duck genetics, but I find it confusing without a decent background in duck genetics.
7 - Can anybody point me to some online resources for indian runner duck genetics - so if I go with mostly runners, I would have an idea of what color male vs female's I'd like to know what they'd hatch out?

What else am I forgetting to ask?
I'm basically looking at maybe ordering some quality birds and then keeping a male and selling either eating eggs, hatching eggs or maybe incubating and selling some ducklings.

Thanks all

2 - for those that sell hatching eggs- how do you advertise? How did you decide on a breed(s)
I’m only able to answer one of your questions, as I do not have ducks.

I sell chicken hatching eggs on Craigslist. They are mixed breeds, and they do sell. Many people are looking for a surprise, therefore they buy mixed hatching eggs. Make sure to check prices of other sellers and try to go as low as you can while still making a good profit. This makes more buyers interested in your eggs.

I have a bunch of questions and figured I'd just ask them all in one place rather than starting multiple threads.
I started with 3 runner ducks in 2010. Added 2 more and a welsh harlequin in 2012. That Welsh Harlequin is hanging with my chickens now and I'd like to get more ducklings again.
I know I can order from Metzer again and do another small order and get what I want, but I'd really like a more upright and slender body than what we can get from a hatchery. I'm looking at Purely Poultry and Johnson's Waterfowl and also looking locally. Not doing so hot locally, but do know somebody a few miles from me that used to have runners and will check with her as well.

Questions...
I've hatched once with an incubator when I was teaching preschool. Considering ordering eggs and hatching my own.
1 - what incubator have you used and would suggest (not crazy expensive - not planning on hatching out 100 eggs a month)
I have a brinsea mini 2 advanced and really like it, but it only holds 7 ducks eggs. We just have a small backyard flock so that’s all we need. So depending on your needs that may or may not work for you but I really like that incubator.
I personally would not purchase mixed breed hatching eggs. I have hatched my own mixed breed from my own flock but that’s the only way I’d do mixed breeds.
3 - for those that sell duck eggs for eating (fertile or not) - how did you go about advertising - 11 years ago I couldn't even give duck eggs away
4 - for those hatching with an incubator, how often did you have to intervene in hatching and how often did you need to cull ducklings?
I have hatched several times and have only had to assist once. I think a lot of times people assist waaaaaaaaay to early. Ducks take a long time to hatch, let them do their thing for as long as possible!
5 - for those selling ducklings - what do you do with ones that don't sell? I don't want tons of ducks running around as they will be confined to a covered pen (too many predators in the last few years)

6 - for those that order eggs that are shipped to hatch - do you have a favorite place to order? how are the hatch rates?

I currently have 11 chickens (all different breeds or colors if same breed) and I'd really like to keep different colors of runners. A fawn and white and then a few other colors and I'll likely also include a welsh harlequin. My husband would not be trilled with the suggestion of 2 duck pens for 2 breeding flocks. I know there is the German site for duck genetics, but I find it confusing without a decent background in duck genetics.
7 - Can anybody point me to some online resources for indian runner duck genetics - so if I go with mostly runners, I would have an idea of what color male vs female's I'd like to know what they'd hatch out?

What else am I forgetting to ask?
I'm basically looking at maybe ordering some quality birds and then keeping a male and selling either eating eggs, hatching eggs or maybe incubating and selling some ducklings.

Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom