Lots of time in coop

jdoane

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Western Massachusetts
Is it normal that my chicks who have been spending the past 6 days in their coop/run spend a huge amount of time in the coop itself? They come running right out if I am out side but I'm pretty certain that as soon as I leave the run right back into their coop.

If I am out there they are running around, scratchin in the dirt and seeming happy as clams. It did just occur to me that they do follow me around. So if I walk to one end of the run they come down there. And in order for me to go back to the house I walk down the length of the run past the coop. They run down the run with me and disappear into the coop. Do they think I'm going in too????
gig.gif
Granted I don't know if they come back out later. But they are almost always in the coop when I come back out.

I was planning on having them spend the first night in the coop tonight. Is that a bad idea?

It is normal for chickens to be a bit weary of the big outdoors at first if they were indoor/brooder raised. When you are there with them they'd feel safe and therefor will venture out. They should get used to being outside soon though. I see no problem with letting them sleep in the coop, if it's warm enough for them/if they are feathered out. You didn't say how old they are?

Back
Top Bottom