1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lotsa pasta

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3goodeggs, Feb 2, 2014.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    My friend's mom passed and when we cleaned out her pantry there were bags and boxes of pasta and rice and grits and the like. Lots of it. Most of it is well past the sell by date, or we would eat it ourselves, but I am feeding it to the chickens.

I plan on just giving them the rice, grits and buckwheat as is. However, I decided to cook up some of the many, many bags of Pasta (she could not pass up a sale)

So here is my Question: Will they stop eating it when they are full, or will they eat it past what is healthy? I do not want to leave it out because I do not want to attract vermin.

13 hens, a quart? per day? Opinions?
    And for the little pasta can I give it to them uncooked, like the rice?

It is all carb and little if any protein, so I was thinking some of it I could just mix in with the scratch?

or would you all just throw it out?
    Thank you.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I'd sure feed it to them rather than throw it out, we feed buggy pasta to them uncooked and they do fine. Like you said it is low in protein so you probably want to feed it like scratch or that type of treat and limit the amount you feed them to around 10% so it doesn't affect egg production... they will probably eat more of it than that if you free feed it.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Thanks. I was not sure if uncooked was okay. Now I will just store it all in the scratch can and get it out of the house. In case it is buggy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by