1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Loud duck! :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LCARTER87, Sep 27, 2012.

1. LCARTER87

LCARTER87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    We have a pecking/khaki campbell female duck who is about 3 months old, she hasnt always been loud but it seems like since she developed her voice she is very loud for no reason. It almost seems like when we come and go outside she is super loud, our male runner is VERY quiet and calm. Will this get better with age for her? Or is there anything we can do to make her more quiet?

2. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    It might be the time of year.. I have a magpie duck that is louder during different parts of the year.. She is always talking but sometimes it's really loud.

3. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Pekins are very noisey...

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Ducks like to talk. They may talk if they are happy to see you, if they are unhappy to see you, if something upsets them, if they see something unusual etc, etc, etc.
    This will, most likely, not get better with age. It probably seems that your runner is quiet because he is male. They are just not as loud as females. There is really nothing you can do about it barring sound proofing.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    She sounds like a wonderfully ducky duck to me. I love and delight in my ducks' quacking!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  6. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to khaki's and 2 pekins and mine are loud all year long! Ducks will be ducks and there's nothing you can to do fix it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Girls are loud and boys are quiet. They talk when they are excited, happy, upset, lost, find something good to eat, see something, want something ect. Its just ducky charm.

8. LCARTER87

LCARTER87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thanks for the replies! I dont mind her loudness but my boyfriend worries she is too loud, she only quacks very loudly when we come out to see them or go inside. I have been holding her each night to try and calm her, she always seems nervous. But maybe she is just quacking because that's what she does! [​IMG]

9. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    She's a duck.
    They quack.
    It's kinda what they do. [​IMG]

10. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have 2 little call duck girls that are really loud lately. They just seem to love to quack. My other calls got quieter after they got older so I'm hoping these do so too. Mine get extra excited in the evening when they know we will be soon be bringing out snacks. Spoiled little things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by