Loud Hen When Alone?

Headers Hen House

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
So my girls just started laying within the past couple weeks. They're on the same cycle pretty much, laying the same day just a couple hours apart which is great!

My problem is that Bertha lays her egg first, then goes out into the yard...and is soooo loud because she wait's for Rick The Chick to finish laying.

Is there anything I can do to shut her up? It's not her egg song, it's a lonely lullaby that is loud and annoying. I've been having to go out there and occupy her because I fear my neighbors will complain.

So my girls just started laying within the past couple weeks. They're on the same cycle pretty much, laying the same day just a couple hours apart which is great!

My problem is that Bertha lays her egg first, then goes out into the yard...and is soooo loud because she wait's for Rick The Chick to finish laying.

Is there anything I can do to shut her up? It's not her egg song, it's a lonely lullaby that is loud and annoying. I've been having to go out there and occupy her because I fear my neighbors will complain.
Sounds like she just can't wait to celebrate her mutual accomplishments with her friends. Chickens are extremely social animals, and they tend to do everything together. Being she's young and new at this whole egg business, she's naturally excited and simply wants to make sure everyone in the neighborhood knows of it. As time goes on, she'll settle into the life of a layer and it'll soon become an mundane fact of life. Most of my hens in their adolescent years were the exact same way; but now- a year, two years later- some are completely silent after a lay.
For the time being, just keep her occupied post-lay if her vocalizations are a serious threat to continued neighborly peace. Perhaps have a favorite treat scattered out in the run for her once she's finished. ;)

After a hen lays an egg it will call to the rooster, the rooster will call back. If the rooster does not call back then the hen will keep calling. This creates a slight problem when there is no rooster... Hens do this because in the wild they leave the flock to lay an egg, it takes a while and when they are done the flock has moved, they call and the rooster answers and then the hen will go to the flocks new position. When your hen finished laying and goes outside and there is no flock to greet her then she will call for them, this is instinct, she will do it even if you don't have a rooster. She stops once she finds the flock, so once your other hens come out she stops, they are the flock. Hens will also sometimes answer another hens calls but not if they are laying.

After a hen lays an egg it will call to the rooster, the rooster will call back. If the rooster does not call back then the hen will keep calling. This creates a slight problem when there is no rooster... Hens do this because in the wild they leave the flock to lay an egg, it takes a while and when they are done the flock has moved, they call and the rooster answers and then the hen will go to the flocks new position. When your hen finished laying and goes outside and there is no flock to greet her then she will call for them, this is instinct, she will do it even if you don't have a rooster. She stops once she finds the flock, so once your other hens come out she stops, they are the flock. Hens will also sometimes answer another hens calls but not if they are laying.

That's crazy! I had no idea, that makes so much sense though.
Rick The Chick is very quiet and reserved, Bertha is a loud girl.

This might be a stupid question, but would they ever lay together? We have 2 boxes, would they ever line up and do the deed together?

That's crazy! I had no idea, that makes so much sense though.
Rick The Chick is very quiet and reserved, Bertha is a loud girl.

This might be a stupid question, but would they ever lay together? We have 2 boxes, would they ever line up and do the deed together?

Yes, sometimes hens will lay in the same box, they might not really like it but it happens from time to time if you have a fewer number of nesting boxes than hens. I only have 6 boxes but 20 laying hens, they all lay in the same two boxes, the top two. I usually don't see them laying in the same box though, if one wants to lay and the top two are occupied then they just go to the middle two. The hens never use the bottom two, those are only used by my ducks. you could put another box in and they might all lay at the same time or finish closer to each other, that could help stop the squawking hen or at least shorten her time.

Since you don't have a rooster, don't be surprised if your hen starts crowing!

Hens can be just as loud as a rooster, and when a rooster is absent, one of the hens will become dominant, producing crowing and mating behaviors, as well as dancing and growing spurs.

Frankly, a rooster is better for the community. Hens can get into some awful fights over insects. I've seen the rooster step in, peck them both to shut them up and then gobble down the bug they were fighting over. All was peaceful then.

Pullets near onset of lay are notoriously loud...some more than others.
I call it the 'Raucous Cacophony'.
It can be maddening, but it should reduce after they've all been laying for a few weeks or so.

Back
Top Bottom