Loud Hens!

How old are they? How many do you have and is there a roo? Ours always gt loud when they are about to lay an egg - seriously, you would think they are under attack or something. Quite amusing. Mine always shut up at night, but not the babies. they peep all night long.

5 hens, no roo and they are all just under 6 months. 4 are laying, 2 are 4 weeks older than the rest.

* sounds like a math problem, doesn't it?

Last edited:
If 4 hens who are under six months old are laying and 2 hens are 4 weeks older than the others. How many hens does it take to sound like a bunch of excited old biddies?

Chickens are so funny with the way they can carry on when they have laid an egg or are about to. They have to let the entire world know... loudly and with great excitement! We can hear ours announcing their gifts from the house and the coop isn't close.

I know that problem. I am just waiting to find myself in trouble for the noise. I live in the city. Mine are also 4 months and someone is laying. Although, a friend said people on her group claim it to be a roo. I have had others say it isn't. So I don't know. with mine. If you find a way let me know.
wink.png
What seems to be the normal timeframe for noise each day? It was quiet until about 4:30pst and it is still going strong an hour later.

My pullets- not yet laying but I think one is close- have been getting up on this one metal garden fence that I have and belting it out for a few days now! Is this a sign of laying to come?

Noisy buggers aren't they! Before noon is our time to make noise. One of ours, or more not sure, sounds like she's splitting open before she lays
wink.png

I live in the city. I have 2 Australorps that are 5 months old. One has been laying for a week, the other has just begun. For the past month, the one that has just started laying eggs has been expressing herself with "bok bok bok bok BAWWWWWK bok bok bok bok BAWWWWWWK". This happens at almost exactily 7am every morning. Its like clockwork and has nothing to do with eggs.

Other than that noise, which lasts about 20 seconds if i dont do anything, the only time I hear them make a loud noise is when there is something legit to 'bark' at like them seeing the neighbors, or birds in the yard or if they can't find one another.

What I do to keep the noise down is simply run out there the second I hear it and throw chicken feed out.. that shuts them up
smile.png
The dogs have learned that when they hear the chickens make that noise, they should come out running to investigate. Could be trouble!

I only have one loud one. http://tamanaka.com/MainGallery/ImageAndCaption.aspx?ImgID=145

I dont ever hear anything from the other one, and even at their loudest, they aren't as loud as my dogs can get (or the neighbors dogs). its just unusual, and for someone who doesn't want to create friction, it can be a bit unnerving. I just make sure I know the law and everything is cool.

In my city it falls under the noise ordinance. But who can hear a chicken with all those dogs barking
smile.png

hope this helps a bit!

Oh, and they do 'talk' a lot. its just not loud. they've very expressive, especially when they dont like something
smile.png

Last edited:
Mine always coo and purr when they are in the nest ...they are basically quiet most of the time, even when laying eggs. But then there are times when they cut loose with the loudest "BAWK BAWK BAKAWK" you've ever heard! I can't stand to be in the coop shed with them when they do this, it's so loud! I was worried about a roo making too much noise so we made sure we had all hens. I'm like bbower and trying to keep my chickens under wraps...I live in a little village that won't allow poultry and when I called the village clerk, he said sure you can have chickens until someone complains... and I have a snooty neighbor right next to our coop area! YIKES!! Well, those hens can make noise with the best roos...thank goodness they only do this mostly in the later morning when everyone around is up. I just hope my neighbors don't turn me in!!!

Back
Top Bottom