Loud quacking.

LOL, the morning quacking is the worse...and it works. As soon as I hear her quack I jump out of bed and let her out so she shuts up. I doubt anyone will complain here either. Their is a rooster law too and I hear crowing all over town. People don't seem to mind fowl around here
smile.png
Other people have ducks too!

While your anecdotal stories are cute (please no offense, meant) I am seriously looking for a possible solution to the quacking. Because of our living situation, my two runners Cuff (mama) and Link (Bad Duck) share my master bedroom with me. I am an extremely light sleeper and Mama has started incessant quacking in the middle of the night and early morning (well before sunrise) She used to sleep through the night unless startled but now she wakes up and will not go back to sleep unless I let her out for a little walkabout. My ducks are just under 2 years old and when we got them we thought we had two drakes... Mama stopped laying eggs about 3 months ago and both seemed to have lost interest in copulating but that too has increased in the last couple days along with the quacking. No eggs have been produced yet, btw.

I read an article recently that suggested that the same kind of bark control device could be used to control quacking. The company Pet Safe offers a bird house looking device that when the dog barks, it will emit a high frequency sound the dog hears and trains the dog that his bark is causing the painful noise, therefore encouraging him not to bark... I have written the company to see if they have ever heard of anyone having success with ducks. I am not aware of the frequency of sound that ducks hear, for example, humans cannot hear the sound emitted by the device, but dogs can. Therefore, is it possible ducks too can hear it?

As it seems now, the more I let Mama duck out of the cage in the middle of the night, the more demanding she becomes. The idea of letting her quack herself to sleep like some might suggest to the parent of the crying baby does not seem to apply. She seems to quack more and more and I sleep less and less.

My girls started to quack loudly this summer. I discovered that they thought they did not have enough food available. What I thought was enough food available was not enough in their opinion.

Is she kept by herself at night? She may be lonely.

Also, a stern shush or a loud clap gets my girls to shut up most of the time.

They have a deluxe playpen from dr foster and smith which is divided in half with additional panels. The two are able to see each other but are separated. This is due to an injury she suffered that has made her a little bit weak. She has fully recovered now and this weekend we are opening up the pen to them to actually be together to see how that goes.
Deluxe Playpen 11 Panels (18" x 29" high ea), 1" wire spacing

So to continue the saga...
The other morning around 4 am Cuff started her loud clucking and I opened the pen and let them out to just roam... I put the pillow over my head and collapsed into bed wondering what the heck I was going to do. She went straight underneath my bedside table and got very quite except for a very soft cluck. I actually dozed off to sleep for a few minutes. The beside table is just one of those cheap round plywood tables with three legs you screw in and then cover with a round table cloth... So I carefully lifted it to find her nesting underneath. I placed it in her cage and she went in there and went back to nesting.

Same thing the following night (last night) she actually stayed quiet until after my alarm went off! I got to sleep all night!

So to continue the saga...
The other morning around 4 am Cuff started her loud clucking and I opened the pen and let them out to just roam... I put the pillow over my head and collapsed into bed wondering what the heck I was going to do. She went straight underneath my bedside table and got very quite except for a very soft cluck. I actually dozed off to sleep for a few minutes. The beside table is just one of those cheap round plywood tables with three legs you screw in and then cover with a round table cloth... So I carefully lifted it to find her nesting underneath. I placed it in her cage and she went in there and went back to nesting.

Same thing the following night (last night) she actually stayed quiet until after my alarm went off! I got to sleep all night!
Sounds like she is telling you I want a nice quiet covered place in which to sleep. if you can find something like that you may get your table back. Do you keep a light on in your bedroom?

This cracks me up lol I have one KC girl that at the same time every morning (it never fails seriously) she will get on top of her house and quack as loud as she can......I have just made it out to that is normally when I feed her and she is quacking because she is hungry. Because after she gets her food she doesnt do it again until the next day if I do not feed her in her ducky princess time.

This cracks me up lol I have one KC girl that at the same time every morning (it never fails seriously) she will get on top of her house and quack as loud as she can......I have just made it out to that is normally when I feed her and she is quacking because she is hungry. Because after she gets her food she doesnt do it again until the next day if I do not feed her in her ducky princess time.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom