Loud wheezing/sneezing/hiccuping hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Iluvmypeeps, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    My little white rock hen was fine all day long, and I let her out for dinner time this evening and she started wheezing or sneezing. She kept repeatedly doing this, with only a few seconds between sneezes; the poor girl. [​IMG]

What is this? It's quite loud, almost like a hiccup! Should I be worried?

2. crystalchik

crystalchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2008
    Central Florida
    Yeah I know what youre talking about. Chickens, actually birds in general, have relatively quick, sharp sneezes. I wouldnt be to worried if she stops after a few minutes...sometimes they just get somethin in there that didnt agree with them! But if she continues for a while and starts to have some discharge along with it, you may be looking at a cold comming on. Just keep an eye on her. [​IMG]

3. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    One of my pullets sneezes frequently, I think she must have hey fever or something. She's perfectly healthy, but she sneezes from time to time. Its quick, sharp and loud. And quite cute, she squeaks [​IMG]
    But just watch her behaviour and physical fitness. Until theres something wrong. I wouldn't worry. Maybe she just inhaled some dust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by