Louisiana chickens

alwaystj9

Small goats & big chickens + 1 old horse
Aug 20, 2019
SE Louisiana
Saw a reference to this site on The Goat Spot and it looks good. I have had some chickens since the mid-1980's, in 4 states. I just like them, plus you get eggs.
Currently trying to get rid of 6 excess roosters, seems I accidentally got straight run this past spring:
One hen + seven roos. Keeping one rooster because the old one is really, really old.
I keep a dozen free range mixed breed hens, some bought and others homegrown plus one mean little banty hen someone must have tossed over my fence 2 months after Easter.
I am looking at different order online coops, plus at some designs. Most of my coop surrendered to the 2016 flood and I have been "making do" with a mix of doghouses and part of my goat shed.
It's time to buy or build a real coop, suggestions welcome.

Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here. I think it’s safe to say that most people would suggest you build your own coop - lots of examples here on BYC. BYC has a sister site that may interest you - http://www.backyardherds.com/

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

:welcome

Most all of the pre-built coops are very expensive for what you end up with. If you have any building skills at all (or have friends that do), I'd suggest you build a coop. Have you looked in the Coop articles? There are 100's of ideas there:
chicken-coops.12
Some of those coops are built with things found on CraigsList or recycled items (like pallets, shipping crates, etc.) that can keep the cost down.

Best of luck to you!

balloons.gif
grey-woot-welcome-farmer-co.gif

Back
Top Bottom