LOUISIANA FOLKS SPEAK UP

cajunlizz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana
OK , 1st. winter with all my chickens and I want advice from the people in Louisiana of tips they did during fall and winter months to make things easier for themselves and their chickens ...

Suggestions anyone ?

Feeding ?
watering ?
run area
coop area
lightening to extend laying periods ?

I am in Lafayette and 1st. time at this and I have close to 100 head in my flock with more being added next week . Got a broody sitting on eggs . DUE next saturday .

Any suggestions to get me thru the fall and winter easier , I thank you all in advance .

Thanks Liz
wink.png

Hey i am a hour north of you in bentley, la. we just added some hay to the floor of our coop and my husband made to boards to put inside to cover up the windows to protect the chickens from any cold air or cold rain we may get. but that is about it. our winters are not harsh down here. we left our feed and waters outside, our coop is not really designed big enough to have them hanging in the coop.

last year we talked about the light but decided we would give the chickens a break. i am thinking we need the light this year because we have quite a few people buying eggs now this is our third year with chickens.

good luck! that is alot of chickens you have are some meat chickens?

wendy

Quote:
No meat chickens UNLESS this economy sinks deeper than what it is already . We started this for a few fresh eggs and then we could NOT help ourselves . We see more , esp. different breeds and the rest is history ! .

I keep warning my hubby if he don't quit he will have to enlarge the coop and run AGAIN .
All he said was , DUH , WHAT ELSE IS NEW ? lol We have not used any hay or straw YET . we been using pine shavings inside the coop and the nesting boxes ........... Our run is 12 x32 and NOW its all ground . Chickens scalped the grass in a quick hurry . We have added sand , but we sure need to add more .

Last edited:
That is funny about your husband and your conversation about chickens
lau.gif
I was sure you had some for meat chickens!!

I do know what you mean about it though. I talked hubby into ducks and we ended up with 2 different breeds on that. We have 3 different breeds on our chickens and want to add meat chickens and some turkeys next spring. I put this on another thread I don't want to buy any meat from the grocery store. with all the scares out there I want to know how my food is treated and where it comes from.

my husband works for a company that is in scott, la. i am sure you know where that is. we go to lafayette all the time, i like it there.

wendy

Quote:
Oh YES .. Scott is only a few minutes away . and Scott is also still in Lafayette Parish . Where exactly are you located ? If you don't mind me asking , what company does he work for ?

i live in bentley, 17 miles north of alexandria. my husband works for mi-swaco a offshore service company. no, i don't mind you asking.

are you from lafayette?

sorry i did not mean to take your thread of topic
hugs.gif

wendy

Quote:
No problem .... YES , I was born and raised here in Lafayette .... How many chickens do you have ?

We have Rir's , black austalorps , Barred rocks , Game hens , cochrin bantams , and buff orpingtons .
ep.gif

we have 15 chickens, barred rocks, black stars and red stars.
yippiechickie.gif
i like the red stars the best though. i want some different breeds when ever we get more.
clap.gif

wendy

Lizz,

I lived in Kaplan, South of HWY 14 and raised a flock of Rocks and Polish. The winters there are so mild that I didn't take any extra steps, other than blocking the North wind....

If your birds are young and not fully feathered, you may want to put a heat lamp in the coop, just for those nights when it gets "freezing".... which as we know in Louisiana winter, only means you can't wear shorts to Walmart no mo'.

You really dont have to take any extra precations for feeding, watering etc. Just block the north wind on really cold nights and go about business as usual....

Chris

(And just so everyone knows, yes I know it says I'm in Fort Worth, but I am from Vermillion Parish. I was bred, born, and raised in Gueydan! I've only been here for 8 years with a brief 9 month return during the fall/winter of 06/07)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom