"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

EaglesPoint,
About the only way I know toslow down egg eaters is to gather the eggs several times a day for a couple of weeks. Also make sure they are getting oyster shells to make the egg shells a little harder so they are not quite so fragile. You do need to start the frequent gathering immediately so they don't get in the habit of eating. Once they learn there's good stuff in there, it's harder to break them.
smile.png

Marilyn

I don't know how many eggs everyone has been getting but we have been doing pretty good at the house the last 2 weeks. All our neighbors are getting 1 or 2 eggs while we are getting 25 to 40. Is anyone else having problems with theirs not laying? Oh and in the last 2 months have been hatching about 50% of the eggs we are putting to hatch. We just started trying hatching our own eggs. Pretty fun but man are the baby chicks ugly!

Quote:
It slowed down for a while about 6 months ago but it has picked up. I'm getting about 4 dozen a day but still not enough to keep up with my egg customers. I'm always sold out.
hmm.png

I really have not been selling much. Mostly still giving to family. Alot of people have been asking if I will sell but I have no Idea where to even start the price at. I don't wanna cut anyone's throat and give them away but I don't wanna be over priced either. We will soon be up to 150 chicken cause everyone in my family is all excited about the hatching. We have 80 eggs in now. and have hatched about 60 in the last 2 months. We have been very lucky and only lost 2 so far.

Quote:
What city do you live in? Selling eggs is fun. For those of us who sell eggs, we can definitely give you some ideas on how to start, etc. Just let us know when you want to start selling eggs.

I live in Erath. I have some people that want to buy but its just a lil hard right now. I work 14&14. But I would be welcome to all info.

thanks in advance

We've been doing pretty good on eggs ,.just slowed down recently,.but that's fine with me,.. gives their bodies a natural break.

I wouldn't want to go out there and get any eggs right now anyway! It's a freezing , muddy mess,. that rain and sleet is tracking right across Lacombe!

The chickens are starting to do the backstroke!

DH and DD are troopers though,. they are at the Southeast District Junior Livestock Show!
I am staying to keep watch over the incubator,
wink.png

... it's cold!

Hope everybody's safe & warm today! -- I did not have to go in to work; called the boss & the overpass near home was closed & he said stay home--I said, YES SIR!!!

We played w/the blue orps & decided we have 3 girls & 2 boys, a nice ratio considering I hatched 8 roos out of 9 eggs last year..also have 3 blues, 1 dark blue, and 1 splash-- nice coloration!

No snow is nice, the ice isn't so great but we can handle that--nothing is frozen solid & we La-yers know how to handle the wet stuff, right?!

Wendy-- good to see you posting; how are you doing? Missed you!

BayouPoules; good luck to yours in the livestock show; have fond memories of those days!

Eaglespoint might try putting some golf balls or artificial eggs in the nest -- when they peck those hard things it may discourage them. Put plenty of oyster shell out for them, too.

Cajunhead-- go see what "natural, free range, organic, etc" eggs are selling for in your local grocery store-- they were almost $4.00 a dozen here! -- so people ought to at least match the price of those in your area, after all, they are buying local & even fresher product. Just don't sell yourself short -- your eggs are worth it.

Hi all hope everybody is at least safe being warm is out of the question
smile.png

Is or does anyone know some one that is interested in a horse or 2
I have a paint mare and a brown QH I need to get loose of
Mare 8yrs
Male QH 4 yrs

Mike, I wish I had the room. My kids have been asking me for years for a horse! Hopefully, within the next 2 years we will be moving to a larger piece of property (10+ acres) and then we can have a horse.

Back
Top Bottom