"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi texaschickmom [​IMG],..

Lacombe is on the northshore of Lake Ponchartrain about 60 miles north of New Orleans. Jeff is nice to think of me and our humble specks,.. but we don't have any roo's at the moment,.. we are looking to get some new bloodlines in and are looking for one ourselves. I have a lead,. but nothing definite,.. everything I find I like is too far away.
    Hope to be working on a better line in the spring but don't want to breed if it's not going to be a SQ hatch,..

Even lost a breeding hen a few months ago,..

We had one of our best looking girls go through a full molt and came back almost all white! So she had to be pulled from breeding,.. but she is kinda purty,.. and a great layer,.. she she gets to stay on.

Hope you find a nice roo! [​IMG]

2. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Pm'd you a link for the ASA

3. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Great, that is close. What do you raise? I have Pekin and Rouen Ducks, Holland White Turkeys, New Zealand White Rabbits, Black African geese, and a lot of chickens.I am in the process of harvesting some chickens and turkeys and plan to decrease the chickens in favor of increasing the Turkeys for next year. I started out with too many breeds of chickens before I could separate them in a 30x50 barn on 5 acres. I have a lot of brown egg layers and Easter eggers, and don't need all these eggs. What breed would you suggest keeping.I'm not into showing just growing them for food and an occasional sale to help with the cost of feed. I would like to grow some of my own feed if I can? Any suggestions? [​IMG]

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Rainy Sunday morning -- how is everybody? It hasn't turned cool yet. Good day to bathe the dogs & make bread & read.

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Hey there Terri and the rest of the La-yers and BYCers too.[​IMG]

Yes wet and rainy here too but we need it so bad over here its been to dry well atleast now all those green seeds and game plot mix and grass seed I sowed (a couple hundred dollars worth) might sprout and grow for the winter time. If so itll be the first time in three years of trying that it worked out for me anyway and the greens in the garden too they usually do well only because of me irrigating them but hopefully now we actually have normal rainfall this fall already things might just be/grow, well for a better word (NORMAL) [​IMG] for a change. I havent had much of a fall garden in years with the exception of onions and green crops which these are(low maintenance) of course. ok g'day all, bye

Jeff

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  6. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    A little rant [​IMG] not that it will do any good 'cept maybe lower my blood pressure a bit this mornin [​IMG]

' Ok last year it was peanut butter that was supposed to be outrageous to buy, now next year its going to be bacon because the farmers have cut back on numbers of raised pigs BECAUSE of the price of feed (GRAIN/CORN) right? right! OK we're gonna pay 10% more for 12% less because of the shortage of pork right. OK heres the @$$ kicker they got plenty of corn to make Effng [​IMG]gasohol out of but not enough to feed the livestock that we eat? what gives here, you see where I'm going? we can get gas to drive our cars but don't have enough food? something is all WRONG here in this picture. "WE ARE rolling down-hill like a snowball headed straight for hell"<(Merle Haggard) sooner or later its all going to come to an abrupt HALT, has too

OK Im done feel mucho bettero already LOL

Jeff

7. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Ok ETA I guess why this hit me so close to home is, to quote my ex-bro-in-law, when once he was asked as a child at a restaurant how he liked he bacon(cooked) he replied "oh I just love my bacon". Well me too! LOL

8. Garilyn Bardash

Garilyn Bardash Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Lafayette/Carencro
    watch how you will probably need a little more flour for your bread today, the humidity is terrible today!

9. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Is everone still afloat this fine, wet, regular, normal, Louisiana morn, LOL with the exception of being in the 50's [​IMG]

Hey La-yers and Bycers good mornin' [​IMG]

Jeff

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Good morning La-yers! I see that everyone has been chatty, so I have a lot of catching up to do. I have been on vacation for over a week and I'm just returning to work. It's so great to have vacation days. :) I didn't realize how tired I was and how much I needed to get away from work . I"m sure my co-workers were glad to see me go. :gig

I hope that everyone has been doing well. The weather was great all last week but this weekend was wet, wet, wet. My chicken yard is a MESS.:(

During my week off, I found myself "Adopting A Senior". There is this very nice older disabled man, who is about 75 years old that had been a farmer all of his life that lives about 3 miles from my house. He loves chickens and has had chickens for all of his life as well. Well, on last Saturday, he came over to my house to tell me about his chickens and to see if I could help him. It seems as though someone sold him some VERY sick chickens. :mad: He had bought 10 SICK hens from this guy and he didn't know the chickens were sick until they started showing serious symptoms. (How can anyone with a conscious sell sick animals to another person?) He explained that they stopped eating, then hens stopped laying eggs and then just started laying in the corner with their heads down. He said that he put his newly bought chickens with his other chickens (he didn't quarantine them) and he later noticed that all of them were sick. He said that some had died and he had to kill some that were really bad. He asked if I could go over and look at them and help him. He remembers how I treated "Mr Turkey", my oldest Tom and he said that if I could bring him back from the dead, then he knew that I could help his chickens. Well, I suited up in my hazmat gear (shoe covers, gown covers, gloves and face mask) and went to his house. When I got there, I heard all of the sneezing, wheezing, gurgling and saw discharge coming from his chickens. They were SICK SICK SICK. :sick I picked up a few and they were skin and bones. I confirmed with him that all of his chickens were sick and nearly dead. They all had a respiratory infection. The look in his eye was heart breaking when I told him. I told him that I could help him as far as providing and giving them the necessary meds that his chickens would need but I couldn't promise that they would live because they were too far gone. So to make a long story short, I was going to his house 2 times a day since last Sunday (a week ago) and giving them medicated water and administering Tylan orally to them and checking on them. Well as of yesterday, he has not lost any chickens since I began treating them and all of them look and sound so much better. They have more life and are eating again and jumping and flying around. I might add that being as though he was an older farmer, he had been feeding them just corn. :/ I tried to break the news to him and tell him that he really needed to feed them a feed that has more protein and that he really should feed lay pellets to his layers. None of his laying hens had layed any eggs in months. I bought him a bag of lay pellets to start him off last week in hopes that he can continue giving them a good feed. Once they started eating again, we could tell how big their crops were from having a hearty appetite. He was paying $12.50 for a 50lb bag of corn, so just for another $2.00, he can upgrade to lay pellets. I'm crossing my fingers that all of his chickens make it and his hens begin laying eggs. :fl Needless to say, I have to order more hazmat gear. :/ I must say that I was paranoid after leaving his house. I made sure that I took off all of my hazmat gear and threw it away in a trash can far away from my house and stripped down at my door and immediately washed my clothes and took a shower before going out into my chicken yard. That scared the living daylights out of me. :oops:

Other than that, my vacation was full of resting, eating everything that I wasn't supposed to eat and enjoying my time off.

Moving on to the farm report...................
    I have a guinea that broke it's wing and I have no idea how that happened. I brought it inside and tried to splint the wing to it's body. Boy, those guineas are a handful. :/ It's looking better but he was not eating inside and wouldn't let me feed him. I brought him outside and put it in the guinea pen to see if he would eat on it's own. Do you know that little buggar raced over to the feeder and waterer and ate. :/ So it's all taped up and in the pen outside. I think if I would have left it inside, it would have starved to death because it would not have eaten or drank any water. So, I'm hoping the little demon, oops, I mean guinea survives this broken wing.

The girls are at the end of their molt and egg production is getting better. It's amazing how so many "non-chicken owners" are seeking La-yers like us to get farm fresh country eggs. I have had an unusual number of people contact me about purchasing fresh eggs from me but I can't take any more customers. I can barely supply the customers that I have now. I will have to buy more pullets this year, to have them ready for 2013. The only eggs that I am eating these days are guinea eggs because I don't have any chicken eggs to eat because I am sold out every day. I have more orders that I can fill. :/

Nothing else going on with me.

I guess I better go catch up on all of the missed post.

Have a good day La-yers. :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by