"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    THANKS!! I love this! Yes, love the weather and my peeps do too. I just bought them a big bag of Spinach and and gave them some; they gobbled it down. They love grapes, spinach, tomato, and yogart the best so far. I love BYC.

2. ellpel

ellpel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    yep, always make own roux

3. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hi, guys, I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with:

1. My coop sits inside a tarp "room" outside (like for tail gating). The tarp room has "walls" on the back and sides but open in the front. The coop is wire in the front and removable wood on the sides for the winter. When it's cooler, like lately, I put a blanket over the coop so no wind gets in, but the air is still cool around the coop. My girls only sleep in the coop, they are out in the morning and go in at dusk. How cool can it get outside before I should provide a heating source? Can I use the same heat light from when they were baby chicks? I can post a picture of the coop set-up if needed.

2. How long can eggs sit (no refrigeration) in normal room temperature?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. This is my first winter. I got my chicks last Easter and used the heat lamp, but they were babies on the back porch in a small enclosure then.

Have a super week!!

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Generally if you keep the chickens dry and the wind blocked off them they can pretty much handle most of the Louisiana temps the worst they usually recieve form our cold could be frost bite on the tips of the larges roosters combs and most of the time this is due to a too tigh of a coop where moisture/humidity gets trapped inside along with the cold. so you muct have ventilation just a little around the top edges of the coop will sufice as it will disapate the humid air out chckens put off a lot of humidity through respiration and evry time they poop its got pee-pee in it too. so you get the pic. LOL

On the eggs sitting out. It all depends on the outside temps, in hot temps not to long maybe a couple of day,s cool times like now I'd say a couple of weeks maybe a little longer but not worth the chance to take. A hen clutching up eggs to sit on can sometimes take up to 3 weeks and them still be vaiable, but I wouldn't consume them even if they seem good. there could be some bacteria and nasty stuff starting to develop in them that the ol gut might not be to happy dealing with. Just sayin'

Jeff

5. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Hey Chris. Walt won best American with one of Mrs. Kathy's NH pullets at the Ventura, CA show yesterday. [​IMG]
    Boy, those NH have got the good stuff in them for sure.

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  6. Roxanneinla

Roxanneinla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Leesville Louisiana
    Morning everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that Central Louisiana poultry club is having a very important meeting on 11/04/2012 @ 4:30pm . I know a lot of folks are interested in helping and joining in on the fun. So to make it easier for everyone everywhere to participate, the meeting will be held in the Central Louisiana Poultry Club Group on Facebook.
    No membership fee is required to participate, if your interested in helping and have your voice heard, please join us on 11/04/2012 @ 4:30 pm.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/clpoultryclub/

Also no baby chicks for me :( they didn't hatch...maybe next time.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I'll try to "be" there -thanks for the info-
    so sorry about your chicks - I've had that happen too. [​IMG]

8. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Good cold mornin' La-yers and BYC-ers too[​IMG]

It was 34* here this mornin' and I'm so not rready for this i don't care for cold weather at all

But anyway ya'll should've seen these 11/1 week old half breed game x whatevers out there this morning scratching and carrying on with their Momma and the big boys and girls like it was 85*.

There was frost on the ground!

Well, heck if that'd been $25 dollar a piece Roebuck Buff Rocks or $100 a head Citron DuCles they be frozen stiff by now.

These "ain't" worth a plug nickle to nobody but me, just for sheer entertainment and enjoyment. I loves my Xbreeds they are some go getters, you can tell they were brought up hard over in that Atchafalaya swamp for sure. whats that called "natural selection/survival of the fittest" whatever it is they sure got it. LOL

Jeff

9. MaddiWilliams

MaddiWilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Elton, Louisiana

This made me laugh!!
    I love our crazy game Xs too. We had some babies hatch last Thursday they are fiesty and right there with their mom scratching away as well![​IMG] Those babies always mnake me laugh. So far this year the game hens have raised 8 clutches and my cochins 1 (1 baby)... the "buzzard" hens are winning I do believe [​IMG]

10. Roxanneinla

Roxanneinla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Leesville Louisiana

Good morning to you both, I'm feel like a popscilce but my hubby loves it....ya i know he is weird lol

Your welcome with the info and thank you [​IMG]kinda hurts especial one egg was so close it was chirping a few days ago and no the dread silence has gone to long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by