1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. rcelkins

rcelkins New Egg

Jul 27, 2012
    We are on our first batch and were looking for a processor or butcher to price having it done, but will more than likely do it ourselves. Does anybody know a processor in or around Shreveport and/or what they charge?

2. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hi, welcome! This is a super friendly and knowledgable site. It has saved me and my chickens more than once. Yea, BYC!!

3. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    BTW, how do I make my comments land within someone else's. When I reply, it shows up all by itself at the end of the thread instead within the comment I am responding to. THANKS!! And, loven' the weather!

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Like this? if so hit the quote button within the post box you want to display your comments/remarks how dos and not so good thoughts too [​IMG] LOL[​IMG]

Jeff

5. Garilyn Bardash

Garilyn Bardash Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Lafayette/Carencro
    hit QUOTE! It will add their comments and repost it again, by the way, hello from sw louisiana! enjoying all the cooler weather and sunshine!

6. Garilyn Bardash

May 11, 2012
    Lafayette/Carencro
    Hope you get a great hatch! what kinds and how many are set? i would love an incubator for chicks! maybe for christmas, how exciting waiting for your new babies, good luck!

7. Garilyn Bardash

May 11, 2012
    Lafayette/Carencro
    WHEN YOU MAKE GUMBO, TAKE SOME DRIED THYME AND RUB IT ROUGHLY BETWEEN YOUR FINGERS TO MASH THE OILS IN IT. ADD TO YOUR GUMBO! IT ADDS A TASTE ALMOST LIKE GUMBO FILET! AFTER YOUR GUMBO IS DONE, TO SKIM THE GREASE OFF THE TOP, POUR IN A LARGE GLASS OF CRUSHED ICE. LET SIT UNTIL THE GREASE HAS GELLED WITH THE ICE. SPOON OFF THE ICE AND GREASE AND THROW AWAY IN THE TRASH, DO NOT PUT DOWN YOUR KITCHEN SINK! THIS IS OUR CHEFS TRICK OF THE DAY! ENJOYING ALL THIS BEAUTIFUL WEATHER, FINALLY WE GET THE BREAK ON THE HURRICANE. PRAYERS FOR THOSE IN THE PATH OF THIS HUGE STORM! HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A BLESSED DAY!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  8. mzstre

mzstre Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    Cool tip, Garilyn! I'll give it a shot!

Now if someone could explain how (and how long) we need to cook the extra roos we processed so the meat won't be tough and stringy!

9. jt farm

jt farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Evangeline, Louisiana
    You never know 2 1/2 hrs may not be a bad drive. Sounds like a road trip to me. And yummy rooster and sausage gumbo. Ok now I know what I will be cooking tomorrow.

10. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    WoW 500, and here I thought I had too many chickens![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by