"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    What kind are you/he wanting? I have multitudes of them but I'm not in your area of course LOL

Good morning La-yers and BYC-ers this cool morning

Celie I am in the process of making(remaking) Delawares, a project I'm in on with a lady in MO but I will be probly 3 more years(generations) down the road before they are finalized. I have some Ideal Delawares they are good layers but poor in type for Dels which is so very common (the norm). Delawares have been so mixed and jumbled up by the factories they no longer represent the breed any longer just the same with most hatchery quality stock they have the patterns and colors down pat and also the egg laying skills are superb, but the intended qualities are lacking severely. So therefore when we get done they will be as per their standard calls for. She is on her F3 generation with hers and they are looking awesome. I will be starting up my F2s this hatching season. I got along way to go still yet I'm going just a bit different route than she did but will end up with the same results just maybe a little less hatching (I hope) F2 results in a Delaware type (1 in 200) it takes a lot of time and eggs and FEED too LOL

Jeff

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Good morning! going to vote as soon as I get off work at 4 - had to come in early to open today.
    The tallow trees & bradford pears are turning such pretty fall colors!

Starting to think about what to add to my flock - I'll be firing up my 'bator in January. That's not that far off! Do ya'll realize Thanksgiving is just around the corner?!

Definitely have to hatch some more heritage RIR's - wish I'd kept more from my hatch last year - love the size & color to them & their eggs are very nice, too!

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    He wants any pullets BUT he is an Old Tymer, so he is not into the "show" birds or fancy breeds. He prefers Barred Rocks but will buy RIR or Buffs. He just wants to be able to go out and pick eggs everyday.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Yes, I'm trying to decide what Toms will be dinner. They all are so handsome. I hate to eat any of them but someone has to take one for the team. Team Turkey!

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Be on the look out for Halloween pumpkin leftovers. I picked up 20 last night to feed to my chickens. I will be picking up 15 more. :)

6. TerriLaChicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Next time you go to Petrus, check with the guy who works the "chicken counter" in the back - he lives not too far from us & he keeps chickens. I don't remember his name, sorry!

7. TerriLaChicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Picked up some here, too! the runs are littered with orange rinds right now, lol! Jim's picking up some more today.

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Ok. I will. Thanks.

9. mzstre

mzstre Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    Are y'all getting pumpkins from stores that clearanced them after Halloween?

10. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    So I guess the pullet I have is out of the question since she has feathers on her feet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by