"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Thank you!!!!

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Mal is doing pretty good, thanks for asking - starting yesterday, was beginning to touch his toe to the ground every 5-6 steps, trying to put weight on it. He's being very finicky about eating though - I'm having to hand feed him in the mornings to get him to eat. I fixed several different things but it's mostly that he's taking 6 pills a day right now & tired of that, plus I'm sure they don't make him feel all that great anyway - he's on keflex, rimadyl & tramadol for pain. But yesterday it was raining all day & we all stayed mostly inside & he was off leash most of the time, just laying around. We have four beds in the living room scattered around for them, so he doesn't have to go far to find one to flop on.

Last night Jim & Winnie were on the sofa watching a football game & he limped over there & looked up at them wistfully & put one paw on the bottom step of their steps leading up to the sofa - & I said, "NO! don't even think about it"! & Jim lifted him up so he could be on the sofa too. I keep him crated up at night. He didn't like the ramp we made for the back door so we took it away & he just waits there to be picked up & lifted over the door sill.

I think he's making faster progress than Winnie did, now I just hope that other leg holds up until he heals enough to put weight on the "new" leg before we can get the other surgery done in about a month from now. I figure by spring we'll have this behind us, I hope so anyway.
    Winnie's being very good around him - she knows he's hurting.

I'm excited about the peas' also - will still have just the 2 girls (White Spot & Vishnu) laying this coming year - the others won't be old enough. Your boys have GORGEOUS trains! Mine are coming along but nothing like yours!
    No definite plans yet on hatching - might just sell fertile peacock eggs - if I do hatch any, I'll be selling them as soon as they hatch - I'm not going to keep them any length of time - I get too attached! maybe somebody will want me to hatch to order for them.

Aw ya'll shoulda let us know you were in town - you could've come by & gotten some more satsumas & lemons & pecans! Mom & I walked over to Inglewood's store Sat afternoon & got some eggplants & lettuce & I swapped a few satusumas & lemons for a jar of sorghum syrup - the store manager is from MIssissippi & raised her own sorghum to make her own syrup.

That's all the news here - big shout out to all you other La-yers! have a good day!

3. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Just wanted to remind everyone to "VOTE" If we don't, we deserve what we get !!!!! [​IMG]

We needed this rain, but I'm glad it is over for a while and nice weather in the 60's & 70's is coming back. [​IMG]
    Is anyone in LA raising Delawares? I here before the Cornish crosses, they were the heritage meaties? If anyone is raising or has raised them, I'd like to know more ? [​IMG]

4. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Does anyone in Southeastern LA have an extra Black Copper Maran Roo or Cockerel to sell? I had a gorgeous roo and 6 hens, but a coon or something must have gotten got my roo. He just disappeared one day a couple of week ago. [​IMG] I always lock up the flocks about dark thirty, but my BCM roo must have stayed out or he was taken during the day and I did not notice, until the next day. I really don't know, because he was there one day and gone the next. I have a live animal trap and have been getting the predator population in check, but a fox or wolf got into it and ripped it apart getting out, so it is getting remade out of stronger material. Does anyone know any tricks when it comes to plucking the down feathers from ducks? I have too many ducks and need to send some to freezer camp. [​IMG]

5. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    I have a RIR Cockerel you can have. I was planing on bringing him to the sale in Covington Sunday but if you want him, come get him.

Chris

6. mzstre

mzstre Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    Good morning all! I am following up on Celie's post - please go vote! :)

I think I'm about to be overrun with chickies( for me anyway lol). I have 14 in the brooder now, a few super blue egg layers (Lav am over white leghorns) in the incubator, paint silkies going in tomorrow (my 9 yr old son begged for them), and Crested Cream Legbars and Swedish Flower Hens going in next week. Whew.

7. mzstre

mzstre Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    Chris - what all are you bringing to the sale?

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I only have 2 Black Copper Maran Roos. No extra. Sorry. As far as the ducks, we just skin them. It's way easier than plucking. We found that out the first time we tried to pluck 35 Muscovys. :/ Ducks are soooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I was at my polling station at 6:00 AM this morning.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    If anyone has any extra hens for sale, please let me know. I am looking for hens for an old man in my area. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by