"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Good Friday Morning! Glad to know there are several chicken people who live near me. I'm in Anacoco. My hubby and I just began our flock Labor Day weekend. Been lots of fun so far.
HI and welcome over!
welcome-byc.gif

Just wanted to post some pics of the peas.
Terri, every day I'm finding out exactly how GOOD Prince can fly. When I got home yesterday, I opened the door to his pen. He took one look at me and lifted up from the roost, flew on the chicken house (8ft tall), took 2 steps and commenced to soaring a 1 acre length of the property, landing SO VERY smooth on the other side of the property. I was speechless.
th.gif
WOW! I didn't realize how high and how far peas can fly. It was like watching an eagle soar in the sky. I feel bad having to build another flight pen and putting the peas in there but with the ability that they have to fly to so well, I have no choice.
hit.gif
I think he can easily fly 1/2 mile or more down the road with no problems. I will try to have the camera ready next time, so that I can take a picture of him soaring in the air. He is such a show off.
hmm.png

This is Prince, with his mother (don't know which one). He lasted a good 5 minutes on the roost before they ripped him apart.
hmm.png

Prince in pecan tree last night.
hmm.png
somad.gif

Turkey Parade

Nice pics! Your boys are sure going to have nice-looking trains this year! I love the pic of Prince in the tree @ night.
Turkeys are pretty, too! Would go nice w/a side of dressing & some cranberry sauce...

Okay.
Wow oh my God.
I haven't been on here in forever! Sorry about that. I've just been really, really busy.
And also, since it's been a while, how do I edit a post? I have a lot of people who want to be added to the list on the first page but I don't know how to edit it.
They kinda changed it up while I was gone.
Once again, sorry!

-Claire

Okay.
Wow oh my God.
I haven't been on here in forever! Sorry about that. I've just been really, really busy.
And also, since it's been a while, how do I edit a post? I have a lot of people who want to be added to the list on the first page but I don't know how to edit it.
They kinda changed it up while I was gone.
Once again, sorry!

-Claire
Pencil in the bottom left of your post?

Good Friday Morning!  Glad to know there are several chicken people who live near me.  I'm in Anacoco.  My hubby and I just began our flock Labor Day weekend.  Been lots of fun so far.

:welcome   Glad you made it over -- I had just responded to your "welcome" post on the newbie forum!

TGIF everybody -- I got my Malcolm home today (my Cocker Spaniel who tore his ACL tendon) - he's been sleeping all day long but doing quite well - the vet who did his surgery has been doing some new things since a seminar she went to 6 months ago -- he has no splint or bandages- just stitches -- which will come out in one week, not two -- he is to start on small walks immediately - just after his surgery yesterday they put him in an ice pack for several hours & then some sort of circulating pack thing -- he seems a lot more alert than Winnie did when she had this same surgery last year, so - so far, so good!

Hope everybody has a great rest of the day! We got a chicken boiling down to make chicken & dumplings for supper here, & picking up pecans!

Terri, how is Mal this morning. How did he do over the weekend?

Had a possum in the neighborhood.  First it was living in a neighbor's BBQue pit, then another neighbor'sBBQue pit, then mine.  Ran it off with the "jet" setting of my water hose, then it moved to a neighbor's wood pile.  Ran it off again.  Finally, it began living in a jar on my back porch.  I know these creatures can hurt my girls and my dog was waking me up barking every night when the creature would come out of the jar.  It had knocked over the plant stand on top of the jar.  So last night I put a cement stepping stone over the opening of the jar, but couldn't remove the plant stand without getting my hand too close to those teeth.  So I duct taped the plant stand, stepping stone and jar all together and hauled that thing far far away to an open pasture and released it.  I just couldn't shoot it.  Here's my duct taped contrapcion.  At least it's gone.  Fortunately, I lock up my girls very predator proof at night and put away the food, but I figured it was just a matter of time before that thing hurt a hen, or dog or cat or granddaughter.  Good bye, good ridence!

WOW!!! Good thing that you catch that bugger! :thumbsup

Just wanted to post some pics of the peas.

Terri, every day I'm finding out exactly how GOOD Prince can fly. When I got home yesterday, I opened the door to his pen. He took one look at me and lifted up from the roost, flew on the chicken house (8ft tall), took 2 steps and commenced to soaring a 1 acre length of the property, landing SO VERY smooth on the other side of the property. I was speechless. :th WOW! I didn't realize how high and how far peas can fly. It was like watching an eagle soar in the sky. I feel bad having to build another flight pen and putting the peas in there but with the ability that they have to fly to so well, I have no choice. :hit I think he can easily fly 1/2 mile or more down the road with no problems. I will try to have the camera ready next time, so that I can take a picture of him soaring in the air. He is such a show off. :/
This is Prince, with his mother (don't know which one). He lasted a good 5 minutes on the roost before they ripped him apart. :/

Prince in pecan tree last night. :/ :mad:

Turkey Parade

Nice pics! Your boys are sure going to have nice-looking trains this year! I love the pic of Prince in the tree @ night.
Turkeys are pretty, too! Would go nice w/a side of dressing & some cranberry sauce...

Thanks Terri. I"m so excited about the boy's trains for 2013. They were fanning yesterday and I was speechless when I saw all of the colors and eyes. The bronze colors are AMAZING!!! I can't wait for next year and next year's hatching. How many girls will you have for next year's hatching Terri? What's your plan for hatching peas? I want to concentrate on peas, turkeys, guineas and geese next year. I'm tired of chicks but will order pullets for eggs for my customers. Let me know when you're ready for your Maran's eggs, so I can set up my breeding pens.

Speaking of turkeys, I plan on processing a few males. I'll let you know how the dressing and cranberry sauce went with the turkey. :drool

Terri, I was in your neck of the woods on Saturday. We went back to Petrus to get more feed. I finally got my shelves built for my feed storage house and put up to store feed. So we decided to track on back down to Petrus to load up on more feed. I think I"m good for about a month. I bought 20 bags of Game Bird Pellets, 10 bags of cracked corn and 3 bales of hay for the goat and sheep. I must say their cracked corn looks amazing. It has a BRIGHT yellow/orange color. I can tell the difference in the corn that I use to buy from TSC and the corn I bought from Petrus. Petrus is better hands down. The other feed store's cracked corn looks dull and has powder. There was no powder in Petrus cracked corn. I was VERY impressed. We had to wait about 1 1/2 hours for the gamebird feed because they were all out and they had just started making and mixing mroe game bird feed. The good thing about it was that we got THE freshest feed available on Saturday. I told them that I would give them a heads up next time and that I would call them before going there because of the large order that I will have from here on out. They said they would have my order ready and waiting for me next time. They also deliver here in Opelousas, so I may get on the delivery band wagon. I calculated my yearly savings to reflect my feed purchases at Tractor Supply and feed purchases at Petrus. I estimated that I will save around $2,000 a year from buying my feed at Petrus. :eek: :) Can't beat that at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom