"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. jt farm

jt farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Evangeline, Louisiana
    Good morning La-yers and BYC-ers!

How much feed does everyone feed? Do you feed pound per head or just as much as they are able to eat all day long? I was looking for a set standard but unable to find one. Thanks and everyone have a safe week.

Joshua

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

It was caught it DEEP DEEP water at a undisclosed location. :oops: ;) Not sure what he used for bait. I will ask him and let you know.

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Thank you! I can't wait to chow down on it. :drool

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

How much feed? Probably about 1 ton a month. :oops: :hit I feed buffet style. They eat as much as they want. :/ Sorry but I can't help you.

5. mbmess2003

mbmess2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Work in Mandeville, LA
    I figure that I have been feeding about 2 pounds per day (of fermented all-flock pellets they eat less/waste less) for 16 chickens. They free range all day too. then I throw about a 1/2 pound of scratch down as a treat when i get home from work.

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    A dual purpose type hen will eat on the average of 4 oz. a day, roosters don't need but about a 1 to1.5 oz and really only half the protein% of the producers. It is a good thing to have your feeder where the roosters can't have access to the hen feed if possible so figure out how much you hens will consume in the daytime where there's none left in the feeder for the varmints and critters to make a delicatessen out of overnight and just feed the roosters their amount with the hens in an evening graining is how I do it , works good for me. I have to ration close here as I feed close to a ton/ton and a half a month too. Can't afford to be wasteful as this amount of feed sure gets in your back pocket for sure.

Jeff

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  7. TBJumper0514

TBJumper0514 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I think a friend of mine has an extra one or two BCM cockerels. PM me, and remind me....I will ask if she is coming to the Covington sale. If not, she lives in Bush, so not too far from you.

8. MaddiWilliams

MaddiWilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Elton, Louisiana
    [​IMG]Central Louisiana Poultry Club would like to see if anyone has any feedback on a possible show location for Spring 2013.[​IMG]
    We have been offered the use of Jeff Davis Parish Fairground arena for FREE. [​IMG]
    It is located in Jennings. The facility is fully covered with stands and bathrooms. We would also be able to use their cages and tables. We may have to bring more cages in, but I think I can find other contacts who would help us with that.

Would this be of any interest to anyone?[​IMG]

9. jmiester96

jmiester96 New Egg

Nov 7, 2012
    Hey guys. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm brand new to the site and really to chickens in general. My name Jerry and I live in Baton Rouge.
    Also wanted to see if anyone knew of anyone around my area who is selling any hens. I'm looking for a buff orpington, barred rock, and RIR. Nice to meet you all!

10. mzstre

mzstre Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    Hi, Jerry! :welcome I'm just down the road in WBR. It's pretty hard to find anyone selling hens (unless they're old), but I'll let you know if I hear of any. Have you thought about posting on the FB pages for the local swaps (Watson, Covington)? There is also a swap held in Opelousas, but I'm not sure if they have a page set up. Brandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by