"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I have heard some people mist their eggs in the incy when pipping starts to prevent drying during hatch... you could research it and maybe give it a try...

At the risk of sounding super dumb, do you eat the eggs or sell/hatch them all?
idunno.gif
We eat very few of these (typically only the few that are too dirty to sell or incubate), but I can tell you one goes a LONG way!

The breed and color I raise is critically endangered in the United States, so I am still filling me pre-season hatching egg orders. I also have 30+ goslings ordered locally that I will be hatching next month and into the first of May.

Plus, I need to hatch at least 12 or so for myself (also have hatching eggs coming from other breeders), so I can have some new blood to pick through and see if I can replace any of my current breeding stock with ones that have better traits (better markings, body types, etc).

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif

That sounds like the same breed that I will be setting.
lau.gif

I didn't separate any into breeding pens, so I will get the barnyard special. I will have to tag them so that I know the are the BYS and not breeding stock (barnyard special).
lau.gif

I'm really just getting some practice hours in. This is only my 2nd year using an incubator. In the past, I had all of my broody girls to hatch out everything in the yard, so I never needed an incubator. Now, I am wanting another one. lol. I have 29 goose eggs that are under chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys. If my rabbits would go broody, I would put eggs under them as well. I haven't figured out how to do that just yet.
gig.gif
Do you mean to tell me you don't have any kits, yet? That's it, I'm gonna bring you 3 does and a buck. LOL We've gotta get some rabbit meat into your freezer. They are good fried, but you can make gumbo out of them if you like, too!
gig.gif
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif

That sounds like the same breed that I will be setting.
lau.gif

I didn't separate any into breeding pens, so I will get the barnyard special. I will have to tag them so that I know the are the BYS and not breeding stock (barnyard special).
lau.gif

I'm really just getting some practice hours in. This is only my 2nd year using an incubator. In the past, I had all of my broody girls to hatch out everything in the yard, so I never needed an incubator. Now, I am wanting another one. lol. I have 29 goose eggs that are under chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys. If my rabbits would go broody, I would put eggs under them as well. I haven't figured out how to do that just yet.
gig.gif
Do you mean to tell me you don't have any kits, yet? That's it, I'm gonna bring you 3 does and a buck. LOL We've gotta get some rabbit meat into your freezer. They are good fried, but you can make gumbo out of them if you like, too!
gig.gif
lau.gif

Can anyone tell me what are the 5 best fruit trees to plant that will produce quickly and abundantly in Louisiana? Thanks
Julie, the ones that do best for me are Eating pears, Figs, Peaches, Manderine Orange, and satsumas. I have plums, cherries, apples, and Pomegranates, too, but they do not do as well. Strawberries, blueberries and blackberries produce a lot too, but they are not trees. We have close to 40 fruit trees, and right now the pears, peaches and plums are blooming and setting fruit like crazy. Some have produced fruit from the first year we planted them. Make sure you dig a hole 3x larger than the size of the pot and add a lot of good soil and as much compost as you can. Then plant at the level as it is growing in the pot, or no more than an inch or two higher is the area is slow to drain after a rain. Have fun!

To all of you that have peach trees. What variety do you have/prefer? I've been looking through them and was thinking the Florida King, but would like some input on which variety produces better fruit.

Ooooooooo. Muscadines!!!! YEA !!!!!!!!!
ya.gif
That will make some good spirits.
droolin.gif

Thanks for the tip.
wink.png
I planted 4 different table grapes and a concord grape and the vines grew great and reproduced more vines, but the fruit doesn't get big or ripen? Can table grapes grow here in Louisiana? I bought them from Gurneys and they are suppose to be for this area. They are not muscadine.
I heard that Japanese Plum trees are no good. Thoughts?
They do very good and some people, including my daughter, loves them. I think they need a pollinator, but I am not sure about that!
Thanks but I haven't done it yet.
tongue.png
It's still not out of the shell.
fl.gif
The membrane was dry so that has scared me some. I misted some warm water on it, so I hope that i didn't hurt anything. And this is the egg that I cracked and I thought that it had died but I guess the wax helped it. I am sooooo nervous. My nerves are so bad. If I had those fruit trees, I could have made some wine with the fruit and sipped on that for 3 days while I wait for the eggs to hatch.
lau.gif

lau.gif

Oh, A LOT!!!!

I have 40 some Beltsville turkey eggs in, about 30 Pomeranian goose eggs and adding more every couple of days, about 20 duck eggs, 12 Black Orpington, 12 Delaware, 11 Basque, some Dark and WL Red Cornish, 12 Lavender Ameraucanas (from Mike LaMike), 12 Bourbon Red turkeys (pre-ordered a couple months ago and arrived yesterday), have 12 Barnevelders coming next week, still have 8 French White Muscovy eggs developing, and 9 Narragansett turkeys for now.

I took this picture this morning after I unpacked the eggs that arrived this morning (basque and Narragansett). I put the Delawares in two days ago, and loaded the Orpington, Bourbon Red, and Ameraucanas this morning. The Brinsea has the Muscovy eggs in it since they require such high humidity, and I have one of the Styrofoam tabletop incubators filled with eggs from my Beltsville turkeys too.

I have 30+ goslings pre-ordered as well as about that many turkey poults, plus we have a bi-weekly local chicken sale where I am a vendor. So, after I grow the birds out enough to pick through them, probably around 5 months for the first round, I can take the ones I am not keeping there and sell. We have a Facebook page, and most of what I take is reserved before I even pack it into the car. At this point, I mostly sell my mealworms though. I sold almost 16,000 this month just at the sale.
What are mealworms and will they be good to grow under rabbit cages? I was going to get earthworms.
hu.gif

To all of you that have peach trees. What variety do you have/prefer? I've been looking through them and was thinking the Florida King, but would like some input on which variety produces better fruit.
I bought mine at Lowes, I have to get back to you with the names, but I picked a early, mid season and a late one and got some peaches the first year it was in the ground.

Back
Top Bottom