"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

WOW There are a lot of new names out there.. I too live close to the middle of no where.. but still close enough to West Monroe that I was worried. Gladly we are good to go. Invited a Deputy friend of mine over to check out my birds to make sure I was ok, and he left with 2 doz eggs..lol.. Plus in Louisiana it is always good to get NPIP. It's free and you are registered with the department of ag. You can find the info to contact the NPIP testers on louisianachickens.com .. I know it hasn't been updated in a while and I'm sorry. I have been very busy, but the NPIP info is on the home page.

Welcome to the New folks out there!

Joe

WOW There are a lot of new names out there.. I too live close to the middle of no where.. but still close enough to West Monroe that I was worried. Gladly we are good to go. Invited a Deputy friend of mine over to check out my birds to make sure I was ok, and he left with 2 doz eggs..lol.. Plus in Louisiana it is always good to get NPIP. It's free and you are registered with the department of ag. You can find the info to contact the NPIP testers on louisianachickens.com .. I know it hasn't been updated in a while and I'm sorry. I have been very busy, but the NPIP info is on the home page.

Welcome to the New folks out there!

Joe
Hey Joe -- good to see you on the forum. How are things going?

Good morning La-yers! wow a lot of action on the site this weekend! Sorry I didn't get to stick around longer at the Jennings show but we had a late start & had to get back. Thanks again LaMike for my beautiful lavendar Ameracauanas! -- I guarantee you they will be the most spoiled chickens in the whole coop! I just love them!

Hope everybody has a great week!

TruBlu--Pathetic, isn't it? Ridiculous that people would steal chickens. You have options -- locks, cameras and surveillance, or electric fencing. OR ALL THREE!!! Man, you've been double hit with the losses first and now the stolen ones. Prayers for you! PrimRose - hope your mom is on the mend quickly and so is jazzmine. --How were those d'uccle eggs from me coming along? Nola - Love new crows! Each are unique. I got home yesterday and had to take care of my daughter who is having some reactions to new meds. We then checked the last of the eggs in the incubator and the newest chicks in the brooder. After about 45 minutes or so the rain eased up so we went out to feed everyone. She started feeding and I started checking to see who needed water. I opened a run and heard my 8 year old say, "Mom, I think I'm locked in." I looked around--saw nothing. I walked around the coop where I was and the little toot had shut himself into the newest coop that my husband had just finished. He had made solid doors instead of wire, so poor baby couldn't unlatch the door from the inside. He'd been out there in the rain since we got home and I thought he'd been in his room!!!! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry so I did both.
lau.gif
Bet he won't shut himself in that run again. No work for me today. Taking daughter back to the dr for her thoughts on the reaction to the meds. Hoping for a good report and I can get home. We have decided to sell the following if anyone is interested: 4 light sussex chicks straight run around 4 weeks old trio of buttercups ALL of the silver penciled rocks - I need to get a count today of how many and see if I can tell the genders. These are Horstman show lines. pair of buff orps - cockerel has the single barring gene to lemon cuckoo--they have been offered to grambysfarm, but if gramby chooses not to take them they are for sale 1 gold laced wyandotte cockerel - won BB at last show and has proven fertility
Thank you so much. Just brought my Mom home from the hospital. She's weak, but so much better. Jazzmine seems better. I am giving her yogurt and ACV daily and she does seem perked up. Her tail is still to the side, but not worse. She is definately eating and definately laying. Phew, it looks like it may not be something too serious. THANK YOU to all for your comments and prayers. :love Poor little boy locked in the pen! I bet his little voice was so lost sounding. Nothing hugs can't fix. P.S. There are 2 Primrose's on this thread. I'm PrimroseMom1. I didn't get any d'uccle eggs, it must have been the other Primrose.
Glad that your mom is better. Sounds like Jazzmine is on the road to recovery. That yogurt and ACV always seems to perk mine up. I love that stuff. I hope she is back to her old self.

Look what I got from Mary today at the Covington Swap!! :love A pair of Cuckoo Polish chicks. My first venture beyond silkies A chocolate silkie a partridge silkie ...and a couple of paint silkies Here's a family picture. By this point they weren't being very cooperative. 4 of the 6 have their fuzzy butts to the camera. :lau Their new home. I put this together today for the new additions. I have the light on a dimmer so I can regulate the temperature without having to raise of lower the light fixture. You can't really see it but there's a cut-out in the lid about 12" x 15". It's covered with chicken wire to keep the chicks safe and let air circulate.
Beautiful !!!!!!!! Congrats!!

Good morning everyone. What a busy weekend. I hope that everyone had a great weekend and enjoyed the beautiful weather. :)

Terri, after talking to you on the phone last night, we did what you said for the Buck Moth caterpillar sting. He was in pain for a while but he was ok after about 10 minutes. I didn't realize those critters did so much damage. I have been seeing a lot them. Now I know to stay OUT of their way if they cause THAT much pain. I'm scared of them now. :oops: He said that it felt like a wasp sting. OUCH!

I had all kinds of hatches this weekend. Turkeys, gosling and keets hatched. And still more to come. I was able to get a pic of the goslings and poults that my turkey hen hatched.

I set about 16 more guinea eggs under a few hens on this weekend. We'll see what happens. They play musical chairs so much and I have to move the eggs when they move. I hate that but I it's the only way. :mad: I have been lucky enough that everything hatches when I do that.

I put 18 turkey eggs under a few hens. I don't know why I did that but I guess I was so excited when I saw the cute little poults, I wanted more babies. :oops:

Lock down is this Saturday for the goose eggs in the incubator. Out of 9 eggs, 7 were fertile, so I'm hoping for a great hatch. :fl

I was able to sell 7 goslings so far. I have 2 people who want 2 goslings each but I don't think that I will sell any to this 1 lady. I'm not comfortable with her not having ANY type of pen for ANYTHING! She stopped by one day and saw all of my animals and wanted to get geese for "watch dogs" but I don't think that she knows what she is getting herself in to. So, she didn't pass my "owner's" test.

I sold a pair of my 3 1/2 month poults to a couple. Lord, I hope they keep my babies alive. :hit When I have to ask too many questions, that gets me nervous about the owners. But then again, I'm glad that they have questions. But at the same time, you can ask questions but if you don't properly care for them after getting the information, it's a waste of time. I"m leery of people who continually lose animals to predators or for whatever reasons. That bothers me. :/

Will be selling 2 poults that were hatched a couple weeks ago. I will miss my babies. :hit

I think one of my 3 1/2 month poults broke it's foot. I have no idea how. I will be splinting it with some type of shoe that I will create today. Have no idea what I will do but it will be in some type of orthopedic get up before sundown. I checked the poulty podiatry site but I think I will create something myself. :/

We built more nesting boxes. We replaced the milk crate boxes with this monster. We had to use a wheel barrow to wheel "Big Bertha" into the chicken house. The boxes were made large enough to hold a turkey. It started off being a 8 box set up and were were going to block off the top so that they didn't sleep on the top but after looking at it, I saw where I could use the top for a LONG nesting box with no partitions in between, so if 10 hens want to fly up there and lay eggs, they can. The wire in the back will prevent the eggs from falling out. Bertha weighed a ton and of course everything used is recycled stuff.

I was able to score a flat of strawberries for only $10.00 at the fruit stand near my house. They lady said that they picked them 2 days ago (and I didn't care because they were still good) and was selling them for 1/2 price. I started my strawberry wine with the strawberries. Now, I'm trying to decide what the next batch (fruit) will be.

Terri, the pea boys have made a song with multiple syllables. Still no eggs though. The younger peas in the other pen seem to be answering them back. It's so funny with the back and forth calls. Makes me feel like I'm listening to Wild Kingdom. I'm tempted to sneak some guinea eggs in the incubator if I don't see pea eggs soon.

The sheep look VERY pregnant, so maybe Spring lamb soon? I hope. :/

I think that's it for now.

What else is going on in everyone else's world?

Have a great day ya'll !! :frow

Back
Top Bottom