"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I heard you were there, but Mike said you had left before I got to meet you! Maybe next time!

Everyone that can make it will have to come to our club's (Gulf Coast Poultry Fanciers Association) first show: It is going to be at LSU Ag center on November 9th.
WHOA! Details!! how in the world did you get the AG center @ a reasonable price? or maybe I ought to be asking, WHICH Ag center? is it the one south of Alexandria? or elsewhere?

I can show at that show; my new birds will be old enough by then.
wee.gif
I have an awesome pair of Cuckoo Marans & Welsummers & the lavendar Ameracaunas will be old enough by then also.

Sorry i missed meeting you!

Lol @ caterpillar love...I have them dropping out of the oaks in the 10's of thousands! I collect gallon jugs of them daily during this time of year...nothing eats them (bad taste) and they stain if squished (the sting is def from the spines if handled rough lol) They eat off the oaks for awhile and about now head down to start on the gardens...we have yet to put a dent in this moths population. Ug. We are all natural nature lovers here but fireants, these caterpillars and mosquitos I will forever be at war with.

Lol @ caterpillar love...I have them dropping out of the oaks in the 10's of thousands! I collect gallon jugs of them daily during this time of year...nothing eats them (bad taste) and they stain if squished (the sting is def from the spines if handled rough lol) They eat off the oaks for awhile and about now head down to start on the gardens...we have yet to put a dent in this moths population. Ug. We are all natural nature lovers here but fireants, these caterpillars and mosquitos I will forever be at war with.

As much as I love to recycle, I have no idea how to recycle the caterpillar. Anyone know? :idunno

WHOA! Details!! how in the world did you get the AG center @ a reasonable price? or maybe I ought to be asking, WHICH Ag center? is it the one south of Alexandria? or elsewhere?

I can show at that show; my new birds will be old enough by then.
wee.gif
I have an awesome pair of Cuckoo Marans & Welsummers & the lavendar Ameracaunas will be old enough by then also.

Sorry i missed meeting you!
Wow I'm sorry I missed you to Terri!!!!

The show will be at LSU in Baton Rouge right near the football stadium. With all that we are hearing so far....this looks like it could be a really big and really nice show so mark the date on your calender.....November 9th 2013!!!! More details to follow as we get it worked out but we are leaning towards making this a double show so it will be twice as much fun!

By the way, Rhonda kicked my butt at the Jennings show!!!!!

Chris

Hi everyone! I'm new here to BYC and was just wondering if someone would help clarify the LA laws on owning chickens. I get that in a subdivision/less than one acre of land that you can't have more than three chickens. I am assuming that if I live down a country backroad with around 3 acres of land I can have around 10 and still be within the law? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I really hate calling offices and hoping that the information the people are giving me is accurate! 

It depends where you are. I live in the sulphur city limits and have been approved for 16. I have to get a varience

Last edited:
Glad to help w/the sting & GREAT JOB on the new hatchlings and that nesting box! --- no pea eggs here either, but they sure are calling a lot. We laugh at Burtis - he gets right there in between the big boys and flashes his eensy little "turkey-sized" tail right along with them. He gets a gold star for perserverance!
yuckyuck.gif

I get a mental pic of this and just CRACK UP!!
lau.gif
gig.gif

And now for my next trick...

Most people don't know that you can actually hold these guys with no problems. Kids will shriek and think you have crazy super powers... adults just think you've had one too many... LOL. As long as you don't break the spines, you're good to go. If you look close, you can see where the break points are. But the bigger the caterpillar, the more fragile the spines become. I always tell people, no matter where you are (woods, your backyard, the streets), you sound always be aware of your surroundings.

But I understand that people despise these guys.
hmm.png

I did mention to everyone that I'm a bit weird, right?? LOL
I think these guys are kinda cool, but I stay clear. I know that they can hurt if not handled with TLC. As far as being weird.... I only like "weird" people!
big_smile.png
Normal is just soooo boring!!

And now for my next trick...
LL
LL
Most people don't know that you can actually hold these guys with no problems. Kids will shriek and think you have crazy super powers... adults just think you've had one too many... LOL. As long as you don't break the spines, you're good to go. If you look close, you can see where the break points are. But the bigger the caterpillar, the more fragile the spines become. I always tell people, no matter where you are (woods, your backyard, the streets), you sound always be aware of your surroundings. But I understand that people despise these guys. :/ I did mention to everyone that I'm a bit weird, right?? LOL
I think these guys are kinda cool, but I stay clear. I know that they can hurt if not handled with TLC. As far as being weird.... I only like "weird" people!
big_smile.png
Normal is just soooo boring!!
Someone was at my house yesterday and got stung by one of them and they let out a LOUD scream. I only like weird people too. Normal IS so boring. Weird is good.

Back
Top Bottom