"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I am Exhausted!! These girls! If you have girls you know what I mean. Plus its time for me to get another B12 shot and Big Daddy is not going to be home for a week! So I convinced my youngest to do it. She was totally cool with it........almost disturbingly so. Maybe she will be a nurse some day. My oldest ran from the room, hahaha! Last time I tried to give myself one I was about 2 seconds from passing out when I made it to his chair and put my feet up. Close one. So I didn't dare to give myself another one. Guess my oldest is like me :D I'm hoping the shot does it work and I feel better tomorrow. My chickens are all doing good. It seems though, from what ppl are saying, that I may have 2 silkie boys. I wonder if they get nasty like other breeds. Or if I will have to get rid of one of them. I really can't believe how many roosters I ended up with. Just chicken crazy here. The 2 that hubby promised to his friends have still not been picked up. The one that is the noisiest is staying in the shed at night. Then I go put him outside in his pen in the morning when I get up. He had taken to crowing like a nutjob all evening too. His tone is not like any of the others. Nails on a chalk board for me. Putting him in there helped.......along with the dip in the B12 that has me sleeping like a rock the last 2 nights. I noticed the Barred Rock Rooster doing something interesting a couple of days ago. He was up in the nesting box area cooing and sweet talking to his hens. Like he wants them to start laying eggs. I want to get him some Barred Rock hens if he keeps behaving himself.

I thought I would share the a bloom from this morning. I started a bunch of Hibiscus from seed about 18months ago. I can't wait to see what they all look like. This one was gorgeous until the rain started. You can see the shadow of a Wood Boring Bee(what are they called again?) And you can see the bee flying in the air.

S
I am Exhausted!! These girls! If you have girls you know what I mean. Plus its time for me to get another B12 shot and Big Daddy is not going to be home for a week! So I convinced my youngest to do it. She was totally cool with it........almost disturbingly so. Maybe she will be a nurse some day. My oldest ran from the room, hahaha! Last time I tried to give myself one I was about 2 seconds from passing out when I made it to his chair and put my feet up. Close one. So I didn't dare to give myself another one. Guess my oldest is like me :D I'm hoping the shot does it work and I feel better tomorrow. My chickens are all doing good. It seems though, from what ppl are saying, that I may have 2 silkie boys. I wonder if they get nasty like other breeds. Or if I will have to get rid of one of them. I really can't believe how many roosters I ended up with. Just chicken crazy here. The 2 that hubby promised to his friends have still not been picked up. The one that is the noisiest is staying in the shed at night. Then I go put him outside in his pen in the morning when I get up. He had taken to crowing like a nutjob all evening too. His tone is not like any of the others. Nails on a chalk board for me. Putting him in there helped.......along with the dip in the B12 that has me sleeping like a rock the last 2 nights. I noticed the Barred Rock Rooster doing something interesting a couple of days ago. He was up in the nesting box area cooing and sweet talking to his hens. Like he wants them to start laying eggs. I want to get him some Barred Rock hens if he keeps behaving himself. I thought I would share the a bloom from this morning. I started a bunch of Hibiscus from seed about 18months ago. I can't wait to see what they all look like. This one was gorgeous until the rain started. You can see the shadow of a Wood Boring Bee(what are they called again?) And you can see the bee flying in the air.
o beautiful!

I too thought they sure resemble woodies too, if they are just make sure the game warden either knows this(by getting permission/ok'd) or make for sure he doesn't, one or the other
smile.png

Just saying
wink.png

Jeff
Oh yes, from that pic I would be willing to bet money that those are woodies. You should look into getting a permit if you plan to keep them. Otherwise you could be looking at a fine if someone decides to turn you in or you get busted with them!

I went back and couldn't find the pics of ours, but I think they were more yellow than white in those areas.

Know that I need to remember, of course I can't.

After doing more research I'm pretty sure they're woodies.
big_smile.png
I think I'll wait a little while to make sure things go well with them then look into getting a permit...just in case they stay. They are so darn cute! I just can't stop watching them.

Will be getting my chickens next week! Does anyone who lives or has lived in New Orleans know what specifc predators to watch out for in this area? There are alot of stray cats around that's my man concern, but I haven't seen any raccoons or rats but that doesn't mean they won't show up when the chickens arrive..
You'll need to guard them from just about everything. We have red-shouldered hawks, Mississippi kites and owls from the air. From ground level you will definitely have raccoons and possums and possibly the occasional snake. Dogs and cats will be a threat. Uptown has a problem with feral cats. If you're close to the river you'll need to watch out for coyotes. They're bad about coming across the levy for small prey but don't venture too far from the river banks. Don't let this scare you off.
hide.gif
just be sure to lock them up at night and give them plenty of hiding places if they are out during the day and you and your girls will be fine.
highfive.gif

Let the lil chicks out in the grass today. They love it. One of the girls came running over and I thought a chick was gonna get decapitated! Instead she coo'd, walked around and gave them treats! I'm so confused, I was expecting the older girls to freak out - instead they share? Phhhfftt...they don't even share with each other! Must be a trick to fatten um up...

Than there's thus hen, that will lay anywhere but the nest...table saw has been her favorite, now blocked off lol so she squats in the chick carrier today -_-
They like to keep us guessing don't they? lol

Lol. One of my youngsters go out into the chicken yard today and my Primrose, my favorite, cornered it and was going at it pretty hard. Poor Lizzy was scared and panting. Primrose was the underdog when she was little and it's payback time. I'll protect the youngsters and sooner or later Primrose will settle down. The others don't really care. Bad diva chicken! And, Promrose is a bad pecking chicken. She pecks hard and adds a mean little twist while your skin is in her mouth. Good thing she's my favorite or she'd be on a pot. Lol. Bad bad little chicken.
yuckyuck.gif

I am Exhausted!! These girls! If you have girls you know what I mean. Plus its time for me to get another B12 shot and Big Daddy is not going to be home for a week! So I convinced my youngest to do it. She was totally cool with it........almost disturbingly so. Maybe she will be a nurse some day. My oldest ran from the room, hahaha! Last time I tried to give myself one I was about 2 seconds from passing out when I made it to his chair and put my feet up. Close one. So I didn't dare to give myself another one. Guess my oldest is like me :D I'm hoping the shot does it work and I feel better tomorrow. My chickens are all doing good. It seems though, from what ppl are saying, that I may have 2 silkie boys. I wonder if they get nasty like other breeds. Or if I will have to get rid of one of them. I really can't believe how many roosters I ended up with. Just chicken crazy here. The 2 that hubby promised to his friends have still not been picked up. The one that is the noisiest is staying in the shed at night. Then I go put him outside in his pen in the morning when I get up. He had taken to crowing like a nutjob all evening too. His tone is not like any of the others. Nails on a chalk board for me. Putting him in there helped.......along with the dip in the B12 that has me sleeping like a rock the last 2 nights. I noticed the Barred Rock Rooster doing something interesting a couple of days ago. He was up in the nesting box area cooing and sweet talking to his hens. Like he wants them to start laying eggs. I want to get him some Barred Rock hens if he keeps behaving himself.

I thought I would share the a bloom from this morning. I started a bunch of Hibiscus from seed about 18months ago. I can't wait to see what they all look like. This one was gorgeous until the rain started. You can see the shadow of a Wood Boring Bee(what are they called again?) And you can see the bee flying in the air.

Glad you're feeling better. That bloom is beautiful and catching the bee in the shot is very cool.

Will be getting my chickens next week! Does anyone who lives or has lived in New Orleans know what specifc predators to watch out for in this area?  There are alot of stray cats around that's my man concern, but I haven't seen any raccoons or rats but that doesn't mean they won't show up when the chickens arrive..

Dogs will be your main predator. Do not trust them. Next will be coons, hawks, fox, snakes, all of that....

I found this little bitty under a chicken yesterday. I'm doing an experiment to see how good a job my 9 roosters are covering 106 hens. I'm doing a fertility check. This is the first of a bunch of eggs that are being tested.

Thanks teepspeeps, never heard of chicken hawks but now I will keep an eye out .

Chicken hawk covers most of our local varieties and too the ones that pass through on migration. They are like most everything else in the world they like chicken and are an easy prey for them if not protected from such. Sorta the same as saying chicken snake here in the south too this covers many breeds and varieties too, any of the ones caught in the nests eating eggs eg. Black rat snakes, grey rat snakes, gopher snakes ect.... see the trend here LOL chicken hawks has the same terminology in southern slang for sure,
wink.png
lol.png

Jeff

Last edited:
I found this little bitty under a chicken yesterday. I'm doing an experiment to see how good a job my 9 roosters are covering 106 hens. I'm doing a fertility check. This is the first of a bunch of eggs that are being tested.

I'd say they are all pulling their weight or maybe one or two is double timing
wink.png
as you have proof in the pudding of it right there, LOL

Jeff

Mrs "I am DONE with hatching for the year" Uh huh!
tongue.png

Last edited:
I'd say they are all pulling their weight or maybe one or two is double timing ;) as you have proof in the pudding of it right there, LOL Jeff Mrs "I am DONE with hatching for the year" Uh huh!:p
:yuckyuck :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau LOL @
Mrs "I am DONE with hatching for the year" Uh huh!:p
Who? Did I say that? :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau :oops: I have loss of memory. I don't remember saying that. :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau

yuckyuck.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

LOL @
Who? Did I say that?
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
hide.gif
I have loss of memory. I don't remember saying that.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Uhm!!! kuntrygirl, WOW! I did not realize you had THAT MANY chickens! Talk about chicken math! Hahaha!

Over the last few days we have seen 5 ticks! Ewww! They totally creep me out. We had to remove one from each dog. Thank goodness they hadn't been on the dogs long. (We have 3 small dogs) One hadn't even attached. I guess all the rain gave us a population explosion. Going to attempt to mow the back yard and weed eat a little. Will see how much I can manage.

I am also happy to see 9pints of pickles on the table(that I actually need to put up). The girls asked if we could do it a bit different. So it has cucumber slices, onion slivers, mild banana pepper rings aaaaannd Habanero flakes. We grew the Habanero peppers last year and BUDDY are they HOT!!!! I hope we can manage to eat these when we open a jar. I may have to sneak in a teaspoon of sugar to make it better for me. Anyway, glad to have at least one batch of something canned up. I think some plum jam might be on the list for going in jars next. Say cool folks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom