"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Thanks for all the advice!!
big_smile.png
I'm the same way you are kuntrygirl I don't use medicated feed.
I would love it if they are woodies!!!!
fl.gif
All 4 of them definitely have an orange tip on the beaks. I didn't see the momma duck so I'm going off what my friend said she was. Either way they're just adorable.

I can hear them quacking out the little words.......we're free, we're free! LOL
lau.gif
Just love the way they have their wings outstretched.

That's wonderful news!! Yay for Mr. Turkey!!!
I went back and couldn't find the pics of ours, but I think they were more yellow than white in those areas.

Know that I need to remember, of course I can't.

Last edited:
Let the lil chicks out in the grass today. They love it. One of the girls came running over and I thought a chick was gonna get decapitated! Instead she coo'd, walked around and gave them treats! I'm so confused, I was expecting the older girls to freak out - instead they share? Phhhfftt...they don't even share with each other! Must be a trick to fatten um up...

Than there's thus hen, that will lay anywhere but the nest...table saw has been her favorite, now blocked off lol so she squats in the chick carrier today -_-

I live in Metairie, and have to say that chicken hawks are my biggest threat. If u cage your chickens at night it might be your only threat too....

Thanks for all the advice!!
big_smile.png
I'm the same way you are kuntrygirl I don't use medicated feed. I would love it if they are woodies!!!!
fl.gif
All 4 of them definitely have an orange tip on the beaks. I didn't see the momma duck so I'm going off what my friend said she was. Either way they're just adorable. I can hear them quacking out the little words.......we're free, we're free! LOL
lau.gif
Just love the way they have their wings outstretched. That's wonderful news!! Yay for Mr. Turkey!!!
Nice looking neck, Mr. Turkey!! Your human mom did a good job!

I
Will be getting my chickens next week! Does anyone who lives or has lived in New Orleans know what specifc predators to watch out for in this area?  There are alot of stray cats around that's my man concern, but I haven't seen any raccoons or rats but that doesn't mean they won't show up when the chickens arrive..

I think you have to assume the predators are there. Dogs,cats,raccoons,possums,even fox and hawks, etc. they are there. Just keep that in mind when arranging things , there's lots of threads on it. Be sure your girls are locked up securely at night. IMHO.

L
Let the lil chicks out in the grass today. They love it. One of the girls came running over and I thought a chick was gonna get decapitated! Instead she coo'd, walked around and gave them treats! I'm so confused, I was expecting the older girls to freak out - instead they share? Phhhfftt...they don't even share with each other! Must be a trick to fatten um up...

Than there's thus hen, that will lay anywhere but the nest...table saw has been her favorite, now blocked off lol so she squats in the chick carrier today -_-
o

Lol. One of my youngsters go out into the chicken yard today and my Primrose, my favorite, cornered it and was going at it pretty hard. Poor Lizzy was scared and panting. Primrose was the underdog when she was little and it's payback time. I'll protect the youngsters and sooner or later Primrose will settle down. The others don't really care. Bad diva chicken! And, Promrose is a bad pecking chicken. She pecks hard and adds a mean little twist while your skin is in her mouth. Good thing she's my favorite or she'd be on a pot. Lol. Bad bad little chicken.

still on fox watch! So when I called the ladies to the coop last night all came but Roster Cogburn, what I just heard him crow. Lock the coop door & start looking calling his name, he answers my call. Found him in the dogs travel kennel lol he went in & the door shut behind him, He was just standing there waiting on me, he has such a great personality & I was so relived to find him safe. I know he would put himself in harms way for the ladies, I have seen him do it before.
That is so cute! Glad he is ok.
Just had to share this pic of the "kids" because I thought it was too funny! I let them out to free range... and this was their "OMG, WE ARE FREE!" dance
smile.png
ADORABLE!
I live in Metairie, and have to say that chicken hawks are my biggest threat. If u cage your chickens at night it might be your only threat too....

I

I think you have to assume the predators are there. Dogs,cats,raccoons,possums,even fox and hawks, etc. they are there. Just keep that in mind when arranging things , there's lots of threads on it. Be sure your girls are locked up securely at night. IMHO.

When we first got chickens we built them a nice big chicken coop. We would leave the door open and they would come out when they would wake up and start looking for food in the yard. We live in a neighborhood. I truly did not think that anything could get them. But one day we went out and there was just a few feathers in the middle of the yard. And again the next day. I hear owls all the time, but never see them. I see hawks circling.......I just never dreamed(at the time) that they would swoop down into my little yard and take one of my chickens!! We decided that we should do things a bit different to keep them more safe. We made them a nice big yard connected to their coop. It is the shade of some trees so that blocks the view of the aerial predators. And we started closing them in at night. Since then I have had snakes, opposums, raccoons, and neighbors dogs wage war on my poultry. The dog and the coon have been the worst! The dog incident was terrible, it killed every single chicken, except the one that was able to get over the fence into the neighbors yard. That dog went through 2 fences to get at my chickens. He was one determined dog. He is now dead because his people didn't protect him from heartworms. I can't say I'm sorry.......they sent me a pidly little check for like $40.00 or something like that. Anyway, needless to say I like things secure. Everytime I let my guard down something else comes along and bad things happen. I don't leave my little dogs unsupervised when the chickens are out. The only thing that doesn't bother my chickens is my cats(full size chickens of course). I seems you are doing thing the right way though.....preparations and a coop before getting the chickens. Believe me I have seen the opposite with some ppl I know. Good Luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom