"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Thanks for the recommendation, Jipus5! I'm about 8 miles North of Opelousas, LA. I'm originally from England, but I've lived in Louisiana since 2007.

We've had chickens since 2009, though this is the first time we've had so many. I have about 28 outside, and currently 32 brooding in the house. That includes 16 Cornish X's though. I have two girls., and 20 weeks pregnant with a little boy.
Awesome! So glad to have ya around.... and NEVER keep info or questions to yourself... being here for each other is what makes this site great!!!!!! making each other smart is what thrills us so bring it on!
Little boy huh?! I am a mother of 2 girls and 3 boys then step mom to one girl and 2 boys... only 3 left at home tho, all the rest are in college or we wish they were! LOL
I raise mixed flocks from full blooded grown ups... Have 32 free ranging right now, then 56 in the bator for 2 customers. I sell eggs, hatch for some then make jam, A LOT, and sew some, quilts, kids dresses n what nots. oh and garden... but really want to do more of that, but do a lot of what I do do... make sense? LOL Glad your here!
Jenn

Quality wise i can't tell you it's the first one i've had. Here are some pic's of the finished product. The instructions recommended to seal with Thompson water seal.

Ok, So I am impressed! I see the interior has that slide out part where you can scrape off the chicken crap... very handy!!!! Well, I think it looks very nice! Family project turned out awesome!

Hubby surprised me with 6 from tractor supply when he stopped for some other stuff hehehe but the bin said "pullets" as did the staff lol by the looks of them they're red layers. Two look different than the other 4 "red layers", those 2 are striped with yellow stripes down their backs instead of all the same color like the others but they're still reddish on color so I'm assuming they're all red layer mix. Hubby asked what breed and one girl said pullet and the guy said new Hampshire reds. Tho, I doubt they'd be New Hampshires from what I read. Happy to have more layers growing tho! Mutts quelch my thirst after chick fever
gig.gif

I do have a brooder still waiting tho, Blue was doin great, snuggled up and cozy, then a few hours later she had one of the new chicks booted to a corner with the stink eye. I checked it and it had a bit of poo stuck
sad.png
but not bad, so I cleaned her up and sent her over to the rest. She seemed good and had all chicks tucked in when I left but won't know if Blue rejected it and will again, or of it was just lost...big brooder lol until I get home.
They told him chicks just got there not an hour before so maybe this one has somethin wrong and she knows before we do? Or she's got a timeout corner for a poopy bottom...
hmm.png
On my own chickens... being pushed away ALWAYS meant something was wrong with them. Each and every time, kind of like survival of the fittest type mothering with my hens. They all have done the same too, most of the chicks died, but i was able to save a few once i started researching enough to figure out what the problems were.... last year I hatched like 26 and had them all in the chick pen... a chunk of them came down with fowl pox... my brooder at the time HAD rejected each of them. Never did take them back into her fold... but i am purposely hatching some from my 3 survivors this year since they will be already immune to it. Mosquitos here are so bad. Anyway, maybe it was only pasty butt, but me, I doubt it. But just watch, as im sure ur planning to do. Blue will let ya know if something else may be wrong with it that u just dont see yet. Keep us up to date... im definitely interested...

Mine looks iike it has longer legs. She does look like yours in coloring she has some more to grow.
Mine looked more like the top photo, but ya know what/??? She didnt have those ears, so maybe I got the wrong breed all together??? I have never had any kind with that type of ear. So hell, i dont know! LOL

Back
Top Bottom