"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I've determined Lucy has impacted, going to sour crop. I read the advice from the-chicken-chick.com and induced some vomiting. I've massaged her crop and have her by a heater. I gave her a couple of bites of egg soaked in oil. I'll watch her and go from there. Facebook's been helpful too. Forever also suggested giving some yogurt.

I have also read of several people using monistat pills cut into 3 equal pieces. Then given 1 piece 2x day. I haven't ruled out doing this yet. However, I will wait to see how she's doing before I "add" anything else.

I've determined Lucy has impacted, going to sour crop. I read the advice from the-chicken-chick.com and induced some vomiting. I've massaged her crop and have her by a heater. I gave her a couple of bites of egg soaked in oil. I'll watch her and go from there. Facebook's been helpful too. Forever also suggested giving some yogurt.

I have also read of several people using monistat pills cut into 3 equal pieces. Then given 1 piece 2x day. I haven't ruled out doing this yet. However, I will wait to see how she's doing before I "add" anything else.

That would help if there is yeast or mold buildup in there from things like bread only. However, I have no clue on the dosage for chickens. You may want to double check the dosage just to be sure before giving it to her because it kills the good bacteria as well (should be followed by probiotics in humans as well).

Ok La-yers. I need to throw some grass seeds in some areas of the yard. I need advice on what to get. I need a quick growing seed where I can see results ASAP. And hope the chickens don't eat the seeds.

Suggestions?

My baby girls are growing so fast! They keep trying to fly out of their brooder today. They are really cracking me up today. Roosting up on the side of the container like big girls. The other day I tried to see if they would be interested in some mealworms (I have a mealworm farm so we can grow our own). There are about 4 or 5 of the chicks that went absolutely BONKERS over the mealworms!!! I had to only give them a few because the same ones kept coming back and begging for more and snatching them before others that hadn't even tried them could have a chance to see if they like them. Pretty funny scene. The way to a chickens heart is though their stomach
wink.png
All the chicks have a good temperament so far. No Naughty girls so far.

The Cornish X are already creeping up close to a pound. I HAVE to get some pics so you can see the difference in size between the regular chickens and the CX. It always astounds me. I started restricting their food last night so they will only have food in the day time, not all night. Because its been so cold outside their exercise area is small in the garage, which translates to even more weight gain because they aren't moving around a big space to work any of it off. I don't want them to get TOO heavy too fast and maybe put too much strain on their legs. Next warm day they are going out into the green house to get some moving around done. Probably tomorrow. The CX are so mellow in temperament. Just LAAAYed back.

Ok La-yers. I need to throw some grass seeds in some areas of the yard. I need advice on what to get. I need a quick growing seed where I can see results ASAP. And hope the chickens don't eat the seeds.

Suggestions?
I got some Rye grass seed and threw it out. Its already sprouting. I got it at Petrus. Even though the young guy was like, "It won't grow right now because of the cold". He just doesn't know as much as he thinks he does, lol
big_smile.png
He also sold me MILO to sprout for my chickens...........glad I ALWAYS read up before doing things like that. I could have poisoned all my birds if I had listened to him on that one. Note to self. Never sprout Milo for animals to eat.

Oh poor baby! I bet she feels yucky
sad.png
Hope that goes away fast.

I got some Rye grass seed and threw it out. Its already sprouting. I got it at Petrus. Even though the young guy was like, "It won't grow right now because of the cold". He just doesn't know as much as he thinks he does, lol
big_smile.png
He also sold me MILO to sprout for my chickens...........glad I ALWAYS read up before doing things like that. I could have poisoned all my birds if I had listened to him on that one. Note to self. Never sprout Milo for animals to eat.

Kuntrygirl, that's my suggestion as well. It's what I've always heard of being put in fields during winter.

Oh poor baby! I bet she feels yucky
sad.png
Hope that goes away fast.
Thanks. I've been out of town and just got in last night. It's a good thing we didn't stay an extra day. I'm still really worried, but hopefully it will start to resolve itself. If not, I'll be begging for more advice!!

Suggestions?

The rye grass will wither away soon with the heat for a pasture grass and hardiness its hard to beat good ol Bahia or Bermuda

Jeff

Yep. He is right.

So it depends on what and where you need it for. I have great grass in the summer, but needed to add more of the Rye that would stay green in this kind of cold weather. My Rye grass that I already have established has stayed beautiful and green all winter. The chickens kept it mowed for me because that was the only green grass left besides weeds after we started getting the freezing temps.

Back
Top Bottom