"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hypothetical question.....................If you grew a bumper crop of potatoes how would you preserve/keep them?

Everything I read for STORING potatoes is not suitable for our climate. I do have a few things I currently do or am planning on doing if our crop is decent. But it never hurts to ask what other people like to do. Besides, I like trying new things.

So far ours are growing pretty decent for being planted late and part of them being just regular potatoes from the store that someone gave to us and we didn't use all of them. We also planted regular Yukon seed potatoes as well as a few Adirondak blue. The store potatoes were red. We have planted store potatoes before and they worked just as well.

Red, white and blue potatoes...........

We already have filled in quite a bit, but are going to do more tomorrow.

Every year that we have a big crop of potatoes we always end up with some wasted. I am hoping this year will be different.

Last edited:
Hypothetical question.....................If you grew a bumper crop of potatoes how would you preserve/keep them?

Everything I read for STORING potatoes is not suitable for our climate. I do have a few things I currently do or am planning on doing if our crop is decent. But it never hurts to ask what other people like to do. Besides, I like trying new things.

So far ours are growing pretty decent for being planted late and part of them being just regular potatoes from the store that someone gave to us and we didn't use all of them. We also planted regular Yukon seed potatoes as well as a few Adirondak blue. The store potatoes were red. We have planted store potatoes before and they worked just as well.

Red, white and blue potatoes...........

We already have filled in quite a bit, but are going to do more tomorrow.

Every year that we have a big crop of potatoes we always end up with some wasted. I am hoping this year will be different.
I wish I was closer!!!!
lau.gif
My gardening is a bust this year, at least the spring. Too much work, not enough stamina. Best idea for potatoes is canning them. Or making casseroles and freezing them. That's the joy of living in the deep south, no root cellar. You know, if you had a dehydrator you could slice very thin and dry them. Probably the best idea would be to make a giant pot of beef stew and pressure can it. I have lot of ideas and no potatoes.
tongue2.gif

:lau chicken math! Even the guys catch it lol
Did you read my post I figured out Ron Brought home A Rooster and hen Golden pheonix Chicks. This wasn't in my Plans.
Welcome! You will love it!
Hello everyone...just want introduce myself. I live in southwest Louisiana and caught the "chicken disease" over a year ago but had several trips planned etc so could not get started until about 7 weeks ago. I have six wyandottes that are 7 weeks old. I'm crazy for them! Anyway, I look forward to all the great advice and expertise you can offer. :)

My grandma turns the excess into mashed potatoes (cooks & mashes) and freezes them.
Hypothetical question.....................If you grew a bumper crop of potatoes how would you preserve/keep them? Everything I read for STORING potatoes is not suitable for our climate. I do have a few things I currently do or am planning on doing if our crop is decent. But it never hurts to ask what other people like to do. Besides, I like trying new things. So far ours are growing pretty decent for being planted late and part of them being just regular potatoes from the store that someone gave to us and we didn't use all of them. We also planted regular Yukon seed potatoes as well as a few Adirondak blue. The store potatoes were red. We have planted store potatoes before and they worked just as well. Red, white and blue potatoes........... We already have filled in quite a bit, but are going to do more tomorrow. Every year that we have a big crop of potatoes we always end up with some wasted. I am hoping this year will be different.

Do any of you have chicks for sale in North La??? If so, what breed? I am looking for friendly breed that lays well, and nice to look at. We have 2 silkies and 1 wfbs bantham that are freshly hatched. Thanks

Last edited:
Hypothetical question.....................If you grew a bumper crop of potatoes how would you preserve/keep them? Everything I read for STORING potatoes is not suitable for our climate. I do have a few things I currently do or am planning on doing if our crop is decent. But it never hurts to ask what other people like to do. Besides, I like trying new things. So far ours are growing pretty decent for being planted late and part of them being just regular potatoes from the store that someone gave to us and we didn't use all of them. We also planted regular Yukon seed potatoes as well as a few Adirondak blue. The store potatoes were red. We have planted store potatoes before and they worked just as well. Red, white and blue potatoes........... We already have filled in quite a bit, but are going to do more tomorrow. Every year that we have a big crop of potatoes we always end up with some wasted. I am hoping this year will be different.
I'm not sure besides as someone else said cooking, mashing and freezing but I do know there is quite a bit of information regarding particular potatoes and their shelf life. In other words, some will store up longer than others. Since our climate and such is really not as conducive to long term storage, it might be worth it for you to try and grow the varieties that have the longest shelf life. Most potato seed websites will mention their storage life. I'm growing some Rose Fin fingerlings this year that supposedly have a long term shelf life. We will see! Btw...your potatoes are looking good! ;)

Last edited:
He was delivered to the guy on yesterday. :celebrate They home where he went to has already sent me pics of him and his entourage of women. He had already flew on the fence and proclaimed to everyone, "I AM HERE TO PROTECT AND SERVICE, SO LET ME START SERVING YOU". LOL

I am so happy for him. He looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy where he is.

They took everything from you? You have been a bad girl. LOL :lau

Does the new owner want another rooster? I have a pretty large RIR rooster that's a year old and just a bit too large for my small flock of 4 EE pullets. I have someone coming by this Saturday to take him for the soup pot, but it would be nice to see him instead relocated to a new home where he can protect and serve a new (larger) flock of ladies. He is very good protector of his girls, that is for sure. If anyone knows where I can find him a new home, let me know ASAP, because otherwise, come Saturday, he's getting the axe.

No, he has about 4 hens and was looking for 1 rooster to put with his girls.

Did you find your boy a good home?

Back
Top Bottom